Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Centerlines In Inventor

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
cs3649
561 Views, 6 Replies

Centerlines In Inventor

Hello All.

I am new to this forum and still new to Invventor. This is in an Inventor Drawing. I have a vessel with nozzles that are not normal, or perpendicular, to the outside shell of the vessel, theyt are more tangential. I would like to place a cenerline from the center of the vessel to the point where the centerline of the nozzle intersects the wall of the vessel. Can anyone please help.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: cs3649

Hello and Welcome!

Can you include a screen shot of some sort, showing what it is you'd like to do?  Hard to tell from just the description.

Also, as a welcome note: it's always a good idea to mention the version of software you use, and (especially for system issues) your system specs.  A lot of people put this stuff right in their signatures.  Screen shots or attached files are always helpful, depending on the question.  Good luck!

Message 3 of 7
cs3649
in reply to: cbenner

Thank you

I have attached a small screen shot. You will see I have a centerline on the nozzle but I cannot snap a centerline from the center of the vessel to anything. If it were perpendicular this would be easy but as you can see the nozzle is at an angle.

Message 4 of 7
cbenner

Unfortunately the centerlines in Inventor's drawing mode leave, well,.... a lot to be desired.  Enhancements to this are a common request. 

You could always sketch these on the draiwng, but they will not update if your tank changes.  Not the best or most elegant solution, but it would get it done.

You could also edit your Centermak style in the Styles Manager (Manage Tab) and set the overhang dimensions to .001 so that it appears the centerline is right on the OD of the tank, might get the two centerlines closer to an appearance of intersecting.

center.JPG

Message 5 of 7
cs3649
in reply to: cbenner

I will look into it. Thank you.

Message 6 of 7
mrattray

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to accomplish, but perhaps some other options would be too create work axes in the model and use include geometry to bring them into your drawing or you could create a sketch in the model and then include that in your drawing. These methods both have the advantage of automatically updating if your models change.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 7
cs3649
in reply to: mrattray

That worked. It is exactly what I wanted.

What I was trying to acomplish is to locate that nozzle at an angle from the vessel centerline at the point where the centerline of the nozzle and the vessel wall meet. Just like in the screen shot I posted. This was a good idea. I had a work plane for the elevation of the nozzle and I had a work plane for the rotation of the nozzle from the vessel centerline, I just put a work plane at the intersection of those 2 planes and included it and it appeared and I was even able to change the length of it so it was not so long.

Thank you very much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report