Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC Custom iParts

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
cadman777
541 Views, 7 Replies

CC Custom iParts

Can someone shed some light on this, please?

I'm finally beginning to use my custom CC iParts in models.

Ignoring the stupid File Name that the FG gives parts, the program is changing the format of an iProperty in the BOM.

I don't know what causes it, nor how to fix it.

The whole reason I 'invested' such a huge amount of unpaid time creating these customizations is to eliminate down-stream editing of the BOM and iProperty-related matters. HOWEVER, this new software-created problem has added more work downstream, and negated a substantial amount of saved time based on these customizations.

Here's an example of what's troubling me:

When I create a simple pipe FG frame for handrail, the "G_L" custom iProperty in the bom is mixed: decimal or fractional. HOWEVER the iPart's iProperty "G_L" is definately formatted to read as fractions rounded to the nearest 16th.

Another problem w/this software is this:

When using FG's "Change Frame Member" command, the resulting part has a different format for the "G_L" iProperty: ALL new members have decimal (to 3 places, as above), instead of the iPart Parameter value of Fractional rounded to the 16th.

Will someone please tell me what's causing the program to change these number formats from Fraction to Decimal?

How can I fix it?

If it's a "bug", then has this "formatting" software Defect been fixed in a later release than mine (mine is 2010)?

Thanx

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: cadman777

@cadman777 wrote:

When I create a simple pipe FG frame for handrail, the "G_L" custom iProperty in the bom is mixed: decimal or fractional. HOWEVER the iPart's iProperty "G_L" is definately formatted to read as fractions rounded to the nearest 16th.

Mixed... within the same family table?  Or mixed as in one family is decimal and another is fractional?

When using FG's "Change Frame Member" command, the resulting part has a different format for the "G_L" iProperty: ALL new members have decimal (to 3 places, as above), instead of the iPart Parameter value of Fractional rounded to the 16th.

So, are you changing size within the same family, or changing to a different profile?

How can I fix it?

The fix that comes to mind is to first identify which families are giving you the wrong units.  Then Open from Cntent Center any member of that family and save it as a custom part someplace you can get to it.  In that part file, modify the length parameter and set it to the units you want.  Then, in the CC editor, right click that family and select Replace Family Template.... choosing the part you just modified.  It SHOULD propogate the units changes through the entire family.

If it's a "bug", then has this "formatting" software Defect been fixed in a later release than mine (mine is 2010)?

Thanx

Hope this helps, but it might be a place to start anyway....

Message 3 of 8
cadman777
in reply to: cbenner

Thanx for your input Chris.

To further clarify, see attachment.

I misspoke previously.

This time I started from the beginning, and worked thru one scenario.

Previously I was editing existing models, so figuring out what was happening was difficult.

But I think now I nailed it down.

To answer your questions:

Mixed... within the same family table?  Or mixed as in one family is decimal and another is fractional?

All my CC iParts have their units formatted as Fractional to 1/16".

So, are you changing size within the same family, or changing to a different profile?

Per the attachment, this happens when changing to another family of any structural shape (though I show only one shape in the attachment).

My goal in creating a new set of CC parts is to have consistency and uniformity t/o the modeling and documentation processes. The only way I could simply accomplish that objective is to have all the iProperties have the same name and units format. I re-worked all the default-installed CC library families to suit my objective. I created, from scratch, a new set of families from the AISC standard, found here: http://www.aisc.org/content.aspx?id=2868

I would like to know how to fix the problems and added work that FG causes me when it IGNORES my units formatting. I already have come to the conclusion that the FG file name is something I can't change. But changing units formatting is not good.

If you know what's going on and how to fix it, I'd appreciate your input.

If you know that this is fixed in the latest release of Inventor, I'd also like to know.

Thanx for helping!

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 4 of 8
cbenner

Can you possibly show us the family table for one of these parts?

You can change FG part file names manually, but I agree it would be nice if they followed the naming scheme set up in the CC.  Routed Systems such as Tube & Pipe are the same way... they randomly generate the file names when populating routes.

Message 5 of 8
cadman777
in reply to: cbenner

Chris,

I can handle the 'arbitrary and capricious' FG file naming, b/c it doesn't input any data into my drgs. But if it was necessary to properly name each and every part for accounting/inventory, then I'd be SOL big-time.

Find attached a doc showing my family table in 2 versions:

1. AISC standard, and

2. ANSI standard.

Another thing I just discovered, which goes along w/my original post where I thought I mis-spoke, but now I see I didn't:

When opening an existing FG frame, and editing it, the FG ARBITRARILY CHANGES the Units Formatting to decimal.3 places. This FORCES me to delete ALL the members and start from scratch. I noticed that FG even changes parts that I newly create on the frame.

For example: I open up an existing handrail frame. Then delete one of the stiles. Then add a few extra rails and stiles (the original global wireframe is constructed for various h.r. scenarios). Then I look at the BOM and see that the new pipe is formatted properly, but some of the old pipes got converted to decimal. Then I delete those decimal pipes in the model, only to discover FG changed some of the new pipes to decimal format. WTF?? I can't see any 'rhym or reason' for which ones get changed and which don't. The ONLY solution is to DELETE THE WHOLE FRAME and start from scratch. Does that sound like a viable work-flow to you? What about when I need to modify an existing piece of structure that is being upgraded IN THE FIELD? Do I trash my existing drawing and charge the customer all the associated REDO time? NO. This is b.s. (more than just "frustrating", b/c MONEY is involved).

Anyways, sorry for the rant (this reminds me of my Autocad days!).

Do you know how I can FORCE the FG to use my Units format when editing old files ... heck, not just editing old files, but ALL THE TIME?

Do you know if Autodesk fixed this in 2015?

Thanx ... Chris

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 6 of 8
cadman777

Does anybody have any ideas on what's causing this problem, and how to fix it?

If not, then does anybody know if 2015 is fixed?

Thanx

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 7 of 8
cadman777

Chris,

Got any comments about my Family Table?

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 8 of 8
cadman777

Does anybody know if this problem has been fixed in 2015?

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report