Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CBliss Unreserve Utility with Inventor Pro 2014

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
ross.hollands
1508 Views, 15 Replies

CBliss Unreserve Utility with Inventor Pro 2014

Dear all,

I have an issue with files that are checked out to users in an old shared workgroup.  These parts have now been added to vault into a library.  As a result Vault/Inventor was quite happy to add the files to vault as the library is read-only and therefore the file(s) being reserved was not a problem.

Now when I use these files in Inventor I have various refresh errors relating to the library files.  But because the files are reserved in the old sense I cannot edit them and check them back in.  In fact I can't check them out in the first place even using a vault project within the library.

So, my support guy gave me a plan to follow.  I have a shared (non-vault) project on my local machine where the vault library working folder is.  I get all the library files then individually open and steal check out and/or check in.  Then with my vault project I can check those files back into the vault.

The issue is I have thousands of affected files.

I found the cbliss unreserve tool as recommended by many other users.  Bingo I thought!  However it doesn't appear to work with this release.  Has anyone had any success with the tool in 2014?  Or, does anyone know of any other quicker method I can adopt?

Many thanks

Ross Hollands

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
mdavis22569
in reply to: ross.hollands

I don't believe the program will work anymore ..not a lot is updated on Cbliss anymore. However. You could "get" the files Then in windows explorerer RMB and take the ready only off of them Delete the ones in the vault via admin Then put those unlocked files back in the Vault ..they then should be available for editing etc.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 16
Cadmanto

Ross,

Are you an administrator to your vault?  If you are, seems to me like you should be able to move these parts out of the library folders and change the permissions of them as an administrator.  At my last company, we were steered away from using libraries and told publishing these types of parts to the was a better avenue to follow.  Can you post some screen shots of what these parts look like in the vault and the restrictions on them currently?

I would also add that while I am aware of cbliss as a site to download various inventor model parts from, I have only downloaded one or two parts from there.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 16
ross.hollands
in reply to: mdavis22569

Thank you for your reply Michael, your suggestion is similar to that provided by my support reseller.

I was hoping to find a multi-file alternative.

Thanks again.

Ross

Message 5 of 16
ross.hollands
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hello Scott,

Yes I am admin.

In your reply you missed a work in the sentence:

"At my last company, we were steered away from using libraries and told publishing these types of parts to the "?????????" was a better avenue to follow. "

What did you mean to say where I have added "??????".  Thanks.

I'll try what you suggest and see if that is a smoother route compared to my other oprion.

Thnaks

Ross

Message 6 of 16
Cadmanto

Oh, I typed it, the problem is I am working on a laptop that can't keep up with my typing speed and if I don't catch it, things like this happen  Smiley Very Happy

Anyway, the "??????" was supposed to be "CC" or "Content Center".

Sorry about that!!!

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 16
ross.hollands

Ha ha!  No problem.  Thanks for that.  The files in question aren't really suited to CC but thansk for the suggestion.

I'll try your suggestion shortly and get back to you.

Kind regards

Ross

Message 8 of 16
Cadmanto

Yeah, if the are assemblies then they can't go into the CC.  I still remember our VAR saying we were better off creating our own sub folders for library types of parts. and to stay away from libraries.  I wish I could remember why.

Right now I do not have access to Vault or I would try and bring a better resolution to your issue.  That is why I was hoping you could provide some images.  Since you are an administrator, have you tried taking a couple of these files and moving them, then trying to change the permissions on them?

Do you know how to release ownership of a file that is checked out by another?

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 16
ross.hollands

I'll try it shorlty and send images.

I know how to release ownership when logged in as admin.  Problem is the files do not appear to be checked-out in vault.  Only when I'm in Inventor do I see the problem.  The giveaway was that the files are for example checked out to user RAH (uppercase).  In vault we are all lower case i.e. rah.  The uppercase is from the old shared workgroup.  So from within the vault I don't think I can release the files...?

Message 10 of 16
mdavis22569

Unfortunately I don't see any way to release them in Vault. Our EM has about 30 files out and I keep trying to get him to check them in..but hasn't. I logged in as the ADMIN and still couldn't. That's why I use the RMB read only option and then put them back in the vault..

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 11 of 16
ross.hollands

Hi Scott,

I 'got' all the library onto my c drive working folder.  Using the cbliss tool I identified that file '7-030SS (stainless jubilee clip).ipt' was reserved by ARM.

I moved this file out of the library and into a normal folder.

I logged in as admin.

I navigated to the file and attempted to remove reservavtion.  I got the attached message!

I am starting to think that the solution provided by my reseller is the only way.  It would appear that shared workgroup check out is NOT considered the same as vault check out.

I'm willing to try other solutions if you have any.

Thanks

Ross

Message 12 of 16
ross.hollands
in reply to: mdavis22569

Michael, Scott,

I got some help on the vault forum:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Vault-General/Unreserve-Files-From-Old-Shared-Workgroup-Project/m-p/48...

This has helped me use the cbliss program. I just hope this is all I need to do know.

Thank you both.
Message 13 of 16
Cadmanto

I am glad you at least found something that works for you.  Seems pretty simple.

Sounds like you were left with this daunting task of cleaning someones elses mess?

If that is the case, good luck to you.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 14 of 16
ross.hollands

Yeah that's almost true but I have to take overall responsibility!  The fairly frustrarting thing I found is that vault will allow the files in in the first place but when you think about it a library wants read-only files so I guess it's right to allow them in without a fuss!

Thanks again.

Message 15 of 16
Cadmanto

Saying that is making me reflect on these might be the reasons my VAR was trying to steer us away from using the libraries.

We ended up creating standard folders.  Folders that had permissions on them and only admins like myself could access to edit.  This saved all of the headaches you are going through.  Not to mention like you have stated, by getting parts from cbliss has opened up a whole new set of issues.

If I were you as you go through these, I would place them in non-library folders and set them up like I described.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 16 of 16
pcrawley

The reserved flag is extended-entity data that's added to the file.  It's acually visible somewhere in the iProperties dialog box if I remember correctly.

Getting rid of it is a real pain without a utility for some sort.

Autoloader strips all that baggage - but it means you'll have to re-load all the files again.  If you are tempted, then follow Cadmanto's advice about setting permission by user - not by locking the entire folder.  Reason, logic, and explanation are given here:

http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/vault/project-file-libraries-vs-vault-library-folders/

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report