Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

capacity meter always spiking!!

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
METZ150MX
376 Views, 10 Replies

capacity meter always spiking!!

anytime im working in a assembly with multiple parts my capacity meter goes into yellow and when i put it on paper it goes into the red....   my assemblies cant be near as big as other users of this program... is there something i may be doing wrong???  or could it be my computer isnt got enough memory or something?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Cadmanto
in reply to: METZ150MX

What are your computer specs?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 11
METZ150MX
in reply to: Cadmanto

under system:

manufacturer: dell

model: precision pws490

rating: 4.7 windows experience index

processor: intel(R) cpu   5160 @ 3.00 ghz  2.99 ghz

memory (ram): 4.00gb

system type: 32-bit operating system

Message 4 of 11
Cadmanto

Based on what the Autodesk system requirements are that doesn't look too bad.

What OS are you running?  What version of Inventor and SP are you running?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thats why most of us have 64 bit systems now..No limit on the amount of RAM you can have (if you motherboard can support it).

With my 64 bit system using Inventor I'm constantly using 4-6 Gigs of RAM for Inventor alone. (you have at most 2G available for Inventor with a 32 bit OS..

When I had a 32 bit system I was in the yellow/red most of the time too. The way to free it up is to close Inventor and reopen it. Inventor keeps files in memory even after you close the file. But when you restart Inventor it frees up that memory.

You can enable the "3G switch" (google it) which will help some (setting a USERVA of 2800 seemed to be good)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 11
jtylerbc

Check into your virtual memory settings - if you're running into this problem on just a handful of parts (assuming the parts aren't really complex), they may just be set too low.

If that doesn't get you where you need to be, 64 bit Windows is the ultimate solution, and the 3 GB switch is a decent workaround for 32 bit. 

Message 7 of 11
Cadmanto

I would have to say I agree with what has been said.  I run on a 64 bit machine using 12GB of memory

and opening large assemblies.  Depending on how large your files are and your system specs, while they are within the limits of the autodesk basic specs, usually what they specify are the bare minimum.  Just enough to run it.  So with that said I would not expect brilliant results.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 11
METZ150MX

ok i will try the 3G switch and thanks for the responses

Message 9 of 11
METZ150MX

can i do the 3g switch with windows vista?

Message 10 of 11
mcgyvr

@METZ150MX wrote:

can i do the 3g switch with windows vista?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=9583842&linkID=9240697

and follow their recommendation for the 3072 userva and if you have problems try to lower it some.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 11 of 11
drlamb

Yes you can.http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=9583842&linkID=9240697 

It helped my computer.

Donald L.

Inventor Product Design Suite 2016
Windows 7 Professional - 64 bit
HP h8-1380t - i7-3820 @ 3.6 GHz
16 Gb
AMD Radeon HD7950 3Gb

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report