Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant insert object (pdf) into ipt

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
karthur1
2347 Views, 14 Replies

Cant insert object (pdf) into ipt

I have a part (ipt) and I want to attach a pdf to this file. From the manage tab, Insert panel, I pick Insert Object and then browse to the pdf file.  Pick the file and then OK.

Instead of it placing the pdf in my browser, I get an error "Could not Insert Object".

insert_object.png

Not the first time that I have seen this, but I have never found a solution... Very Frustrating.

How do I get this to work?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
mcgyvr
in reply to: karthur1

?? works fine here.. Have you tried a different PDF file.. Maybe thats the problem.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 15
karthur1

Just created an empty part.  Next I created an empty pdf document from Acrobat 9.  Tried to insert this into my ipt and get the same error.

Attached is the empty document. Dont really think it is the pdf, but who knows.  For kicks can you try to insert it and see if it works.

Message 4 of 15
mcgyvr

Your test pdf worked fine for me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 15
karthur1
in reply to: mcgyvr

Mcgyvr,

I am still having an issue with this.  Just curious what pdf version you are using?  I am using Version 9.4.3

Thanks

Message 6 of 15
mcgyvr

@karthur1 wrote:

Mcgyvr,

I am still having an issue with this.  Just curious what pdf version you are using?  I am using Version 9.4.3

Thanks

currently Adobe Acrobat 3D 8.2.6 (also have Adobe Reader X 10.0.1)

are you on subscription so you can submit a support request?

Have you tried loading cutepdf?

Message 7 of 15
karthur1
in reply to: mcgyvr

mcgyvr,

Yea, I'm on subscription and I have a case logged against this.  My support case #05362412 issued on 9-01-2010.  The latest thing I got from them...."I logged this issue with development. I’ve checked and they have confirmed it and are looking at how to address it. That is presently all the information I have available for you. Regards, "

Doesnt really help to resolve my problem.... tell me agian why I am paying for support?... lol

I haven't tried using CutePDF, but I dont see the point in using it.  I can't even get a blank PDF created in Adobe to insert into a blank ipt.  I do have "PDF Creator" loaded and I use it all the time.  I think that it does the same thing as the CutePDF does.

I have 10 users that here that all have the same problem.

Thanks

Message 8 of 15
scottmoyse

just as a matter of interest why are you attaching pdf's to your parts within Inventor?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 9 of 15
karthur1
in reply to: scottmoyse

We use this to document what was purchased.  When we order the part, the vendor will send us a certified print in pdf format.  I can insert this pdf in the part and if there are every any questions about what was purchased, we can easily find the information.

Message 10 of 15
scottmoyse

your signature says you use vault, why don't you just attach the pdf to the part in vault, then your part isn't bogged down in inventor with an object link.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 11 of 15
karthur1

Not what I prefer, but that is what I am doing for a workaround.  It just causes me to have to first add the pdf to vault first, then add the attachment.

Message 12 of 15
karthur1

Just found this.  Installed the hotfix from MS and it fixed my problem.Smiley Happy

"Cannot embed PDF files in a 64 bit version of Inventor"

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=19234212&linkID=9242018

Message 13 of 15
karthur1

Smiley MadIt was working great.  Uninstall 2013-sp1 beta, installed 2013-SP1 and now I get the same message when I try to insert a pdf in my ipt.  Tried to install hotfix again, but it says its already installed.  Had to find it in the list of updates and uninstall first.  Now I can insert the pdf again  Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 15
karthur1

Tried to insert a PDF into an ipt again this morning.  Doesnt work again uuuugggghhhhh!!!

Guess since I have installed Update 1 for SP1, that is what broke it.  Went through the same matra of uninstalling the MS hotfix and then reinstalling it.  Tried to place the PDF in my ipt file again and it doesnt work... Still get the "Cant insert Object" error.

If AD cant make this work, then just take the Adobe Acrobat Document off the Object Type list.

I give up.Smiley Sad

Message 15 of 15
karthur1

I still run across this from time-to-time when I try to insert a PDF into a part (or assembly). I have found that if I open the problem PDF in Acrobat, then do  a File >Save As Other, select "Reduce File Size" and use Version 8.0 or later..... I can then insert this new PDF into the file that I want.

Maybe others can find this useful.

Thanks,

Kirk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report