Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot use Design Assistant at all?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
288 Views, 14 Replies

Cannot use Design Assistant at all?

sorry if this has been addressed, I do not have the time to research this. I need to use design assistant 9 to rename multiple parts of an assembly. I have done this many times in previous Inventor releases. I open the assembly in DA and all the files are grayed out and cannot do ANYTHING to them. I have SP1 and the hot fix for DA installed up to date... still nothing. here are some error messages
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
dan_mayers
in reply to: Anonymous

The OLE errors are not affecting your ability to use DA. DA cannot handle OLE links to things like spreadsheets and such.

The problem is that the files you are trying to manipulate are from an older version of Inventor. Open the assembly you are trying to work with and save it. Then try running DA. Alternately, you can run the migration tool on it.

Either way, that should fix your problem.

Dan
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

Looks like you need to migrate the files to the current release. I would run the migration assistant on the project and then try it again. -- Kent Keller Autodesk Discussion Forum Facilitator "Roy Hoover" wrote in message news:419399b8_3@newsprd01... > sorry if this has been addressed, I do not have the time to research this. > > I need to use design assistant 9 to rename multiple parts of an assembly. I > have done this many times in previous Inventor releases. > I open the assembly in DA and all the files are grayed out and cannot do > ANYTHING to them. > > I have SP1 and the hot fix for DA installed up to date... still nothing. > > here are some error messages > > > >
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

Next suggestion... still no luck all but the five parts are already migrated to version 9 "Kent Keller" wrote in message news:4193a270$1_3@newsprd01... > Looks like you need to migrate the files to the current release. I would > run the migration assistant on the project and then try it again. > > -- > Kent Keller > Autodesk Discussion Forum Facilitator > > > "Roy Hoover" wrote in message > news:419399b8_3@newsprd01... > > sorry if this has been addressed, I do not have the time to research this. > > > > I need to use design assistant 9 to rename multiple parts of an assembly. > I > > have done this many times in previous Inventor releases. > > I open the assembly in DA and all the files are grayed out and cannot do > > ANYTHING to them. > > > > I have SP1 and the hot fix for DA installed up to date... still nothing. > > > > here are some error messages > > > > > > > > > >
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

So are you saying you migrate these 5 parts and it is still saying they need to be migrated? -- Kent Keller Autodesk Discussion Forum Facilitator "Roy Hoover" wrote in message news:4193b3c1$1_2@newsprd01... > Next suggestion... still no luck all but the five parts are already migrated > to version 9
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

Those 5 parts are not my problem, I have to change parts that are not those five. Design Assistant will not allow me to change ANYTHING... All the fields are grayed out and cannot modify anything. This is really preventing me from getting my work done and I'm at a loss "Kent Keller" wrote in message news:4193b974$1_1@newsprd01... > So are you saying you migrate these 5 parts and it is still saying they need > to be migrated? > > -- > Kent Keller > Autodesk Discussion Forum Facilitator > > > "Roy Hoover" wrote in message > news:4193b3c1$1_2@newsprd01... > > Next suggestion... still no luck all but the five parts are already > migrated > > to version 9 > >
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

What is your project set too? You can not use DA if you are in semi-isolated. K Johnson
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

I have went as far as to pack&go the whole assembly and turn the p&g into a single user project. I still cannot change a thing "KJohnson" wrote in message news:4193c020$1_1@newsprd01... > What is your project set too? You can not use DA if you are in > semi-isolated. > > K Johnson > >
Message 9 of 15
dan_mayers

Is it possible that the files are checked out? Was the project ever a shared or semi-isolated project? Possibly on a read only drive?...
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

none of the files I need to modify are checked out or read only "dan_mayers" wrote in message news:28948243.1100207682358.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Is it possible that the files are checked out? Was the project ever a shared or semi-isolated project? Possibly on a read only drive?...
Message 11 of 15
dclassen

So if your project is semi-isolated, what DO you do to change paths and manage the file structures? I am having this problem also, but I want the benefits of the semi-isolated mode..
Message 12 of 15
pkquat

The files and associated files you want to manipulate need to be checked in. I think Kent K. has program called unreserve that makes this a breeze. The other option is to open the assembly and check the needed files in or steal / cancel checkouts of files that someone forgot to check in.

If some one does need it checked out and IS working on it, then DON'T steal or cancel the checkout, as this could mess things up big time.

I often make backups before I start to do anything major with DA.

Pete
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

It is Charles that has that program. www.cbliss.com -- Kent Keller Autodesk Discussion Forum Facilitator "pkquat" wrote in message news:25714581.1100298392659.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > The files and associated files you want to manipulate need to be checked in. I think Kent K. has program called unreserve that makes this a breeze.
Message 14 of 15
dclassen

ok, i have an idw of a single ipt. very simple. the two files reside within a semi-isolated project together. I want to create another part and drawing that are very similar, within the same project but named something else, but I don't want to create a new idw with new views and dims. so, i copy the idw and ipt within windows explorer, then open the idw in design assistant and go to the manage mode. when i do so, there are no functions available when right clicking. in fact, much of it is "grayed out". I have checked and neither the original ipt or idw are checked out, nor are the new copies of them.
Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

As long as the project file has the "multi-user" set to semi-isolated you will not be able to modify using DA. Change to "multi-user" to off and then you should be able to modify using DA. Reset to semi-isolated when finished. dclassen wrote: > ok, i have an idw of a single ipt. very simple. the two files reside within a semi-isolated project together. I want to create another part and drawing that are very similar, within the same project but named something else, but I don't want to create a new idw with new views and dims. so, i copy the idw and ipt within windows explorer, then open the idw in design assistant and go to the manage mode. when i do so, there are no functions available when right clicking. in fact, much of it is "grayed out". I have checked and neither the original ipt or idw are checked out, nor are the new copies of them. -- Hal Gwin Mechanical Designer Xenogen W2K SP4 Dell Precision 650 Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon 1.5 GB DDR Quadro4 900 XGL nVidia 6.14.10.6085 w/registry update Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report