Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Remote Desktop when 3GB switch is enabled

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
fronekj
1171 Views, 11 Replies

Cannot Remote Desktop when 3GB switch is enabled

Hello,

I work for a large enterprise that has many machines(all the same) that have Inventor 2010 with the 3GB switch enabled. However, when a user tries to remotely connect the machine with the switch enabled, using Windows RDC, they are unable to. After removing the switch, the user is able to remote successfully. Other forums suggested that the "SessionImageSpace" in the registry needed to be edited to allow for the connection, but that did not work for me. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Justin

Machine Info:

Dell T3500 Workstation

Xeon Quad Core 2.8GHz

6GB RAM

NVidia Quadro FX4800 2GB

Windows XP SP3

Tags (3)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
DarrenP
in reply to: fronekj

getting off 32 bit OS and moving to a 64 bit OS

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
fronekj
in reply to: DarrenP

As much as I wish we were.. we are far from completing testing for Win7. So for now, I'm trying to find a fix/workaround for XP. Thanks.

Message 4 of 12
DarrenP

have you tried calling dell support?

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
fronekj

No, I haven't tried them... yet. I really only like going to them as a last resort. Even though we have spent millions towards Dell products.. they still find a way to give me a tech that is from the Phillipines. Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 12
DarrenP

this is first time i am hearing of this issue of the 3gig switch and remote desktop

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
fronekj

This was the first time I've noticed the problem also. This is happening on any machine with the switch installed, but Inventor doesn't need to be installed. The switch is a function of Windows, so I will call Microsoft/Dell tomorrow and update this thread with any news of a fix. Thanks.

Message 8 of 12
DarrenP

this is all i am finding on it: http://www.mcbsys.com/techblog/2008/07/remote-desktop-console-switch-removed-by-xp-sp3-upgrade/

it doesn't mention the 3 gig switch

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
brian.cranston

Would something like RealVNC be an option?  I use it a few times a week with Inventor.

http://www.realvnc.com/

-Brian

Message 10 of 12
Dennis_Jeffrey

LogMeIn.com has a 256bit secure remote that may work.  They have a free trial, do check it out. I'm doing testing on their products for our internal use, and so far, it's been great.

http://logmein.com

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 11 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

maybe this will help??

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942432

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 12 of 12
oiler_no11
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgvr - Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have this exact issue - I cannot remote desktop into my machine with the 3GB switch enabled.  But when I try to apply the hotfix, it says that i have a newer service pack (I have XP SP3) and that the patch is not needed.  My guess is that this fix was never included in the later SP, so is there a newer hotfix available that can be applied to SP3?

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report