Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot project faces using "Project Geometry"

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Vacherie18
2819 Views, 10 Replies

Cannot project faces using "Project Geometry"

For some reason, I can no loger project a whole face outline when using "Project Geometry." I'm pretty sure I could do this up until not long ago. I checked the "Sketch" tab of the Application Options and everything looks like I read it should. I've attached a screenshot just in case I'm overlooking something.

I could still project individual edges. 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
LT.Rusty
in reply to: Vacherie18

It's not the cause of your problem, but you should probably check the box for Autoproject Part Origin.

Attach a file here that exhibits this behavior.  It might be something in your part or in your template.  It might be something else.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
JDMather

I don't think it could be anything file, specific, but-

Just as a double check - can you attach a file here. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 11
LT.Rusty
in reply to: JDMather

I've had a few faces that just absolutely refused to project.  Mostly I'd get an error message though - usually something about degenerate segments - but sometimes it was just something ridiculously non-planar.  Never know, and it's something that at least should be easy to rule out.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
schnautza

This same problem just started for me today. I also just installed the latest update for SP1...coincidence?

Message 6 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! Are you trying to project the face to an assembly sketch or a part sketch? Does it happen to any face or just some faces? I don't think there is an option controlling the behavior. It is either geometry specific issue or Invento cannot recognize the face for some reason. Either way does not sound right. I need to see an example.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 11
schnautza

In my case, it is in an assembly sketch. Hadn't thought about that, I usually don't do assembly sketches so I've never noticed the problem before.

Message 8 of 11
Vacherie18

It could very well be an assembly vs part thing.  My "project geometry" DOES project an entire face in a part file but not an assembly file.

Maybe it never was designed to work in an assembly file and I'm just now catching on to this? (I'm at about 2 years inventor experience) 

Message 9 of 11
LT.Rusty

Sounds like that was the problem!

Rusty

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! It is a limitation in Inventor that associative whole face projection is only allowed in Part Sketch. If you think this enhancement is important to your workflow, please add it to Inventor Ideasstation. In the meantime, you can project the face loop (edges) from part edges to assembly sketch associatively.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 11
mrattray

Projecting an entire face is usually a poor modeling practice, anyways.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report