Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAnnot project any work planes.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
not2013
742 Views, 11 Replies

CAnnot project any work planes.

Isn't this an important part of sketches?  Why would I not be able to project a work plane.

Cannot project any w-planes whether default or created in inv2013.

THX

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Cadmanto
in reply to: not2013

Not sure what you mean by not being able to project work planes.  You can offset workplanes to create new ones, you can use workplanes to sketch on and project based on your sketches.  Which one of these are you not able to do?

If you could clarify or even better, provide some images of what youare talking about that would help.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 12
JDMather

Attach file here that exhibits this behavior.

Are selecting edge of plane?   (must select edge - not inside)

Is the plane you are selecting perpendicular (not co-planar) to your active sketch?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
not2013
in reply to: Cadmanto

Yes sorry, I meant I cannot project geometry like normal.  I could make new work planes (datum planes) but couldn't project them so that you can use them in a sketch.

I just deleted the feature and sketch and recreated them. Its all perfect now!

thx

Message 5 of 12
JDMather

@not2013 wrote:

I just deleted the feature and sketch and recreated them. Its all perfect now!

Whenever something unexpected happens you should attach the file exhibiting unexpected behavior here so that the problem can be fixed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
Cadmanto

It is possible that your first sketch was not entirely closed where as the second one was.

If the sketch is not enclosed the projection tool will not work.

So, is this issue resolved?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 12
not2013

Well honestly at this point there are so many thing wrong with the software that I really do not know how it is suppose to work.  I know that it is hard to make sketches or edit sketches without beign able to project. 

Again I honestly do not understand why inventor does not already know taht the work planes (datum planes) are real geometry to begin with.  It is one of the many thing that do not make much sense to me. 

THX

Message 8 of 12
JDMather

@not2013 wrote:

Again I honestly do not understand why inventor does not already know taht the work planes (datum planes) are real geometry to begin with.  It is one of the many thing that do not make much sense to me. 

THX

I never ever project planes into my sketches and wouldn't want that.

Where are you located?

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
not2013
in reply to: Cadmanto

No it absolutely is not.  Editting and existing feature and sketch.  So all was good till I editted it.  

Anyway all of this extra time spent makes my invoices nicely padded.  I cannot send any examples as everything I work on is "proprietary protected", so if I sent an example we both could be charged with a crime of sabotage or corporate espionage.  Some sort of legal mumbojumbo. I'm not in manufacturing I'm in design engineering. Almost everything I work on is for real or involved in contracts with our clients.  So I would be fired at best and arrested at worse.

So I am to understand that this is the normal way invetor was desinged to work?  or I sould be albe to project work planes.

Message 10 of 12
not2013
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

I never ever project planes into my sketches and wouldn't want that.

Where are you located?

This is not normal for inventor, please were is this written so I may read it myself? "That you should never project work planes in sketches."

Located in the USA!

Message 11 of 12
JDMather

@not2013 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

please were is this written so I may read it myself? "That you should never project work planes in sketches."

Located in the USA!

It is written in post #8, you even tried to quote me but you mis-quoted.
I wrote that I never ever project the workplanes.  I didn't write anything about others not projecting workplanes.

USA is a big country - perhaps I can come to your location and show you how I use the software.
I have noticed throughout your posts that you seem to be struggling.

I can save your company lots of money.

If I don't - don't pay me. 

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
not2013
in reply to: JDMather

Yes the struggling got worse after our change from 2011 to 2013.  Some things just do not work anymore and the total interface is unstable.

How would you train against this happening?  Please see attached and take a close look at the ribbon menu.

THX

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report