Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot modify the library file

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
randyp
918 Views, 3 Replies

Cannot modify the library file

For some reason I cannot insert a file into an idw. It tells me "cannot modify the library file" "edits not allowed". I even opened an existing and tried to add it in the same idw with the same message. Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
blair
in reply to: randyp

Not sure why you would be inserting a part into a drawing, unless you mean that you are creating a new view of a part in a drawing file.

You should be able to place a view of a Library part into a drawing. Library parts by the nature of the Project file at set a Read-Only. You will need to create a new Project file that sets the directory that the part resides in as the Work Directory to modify the part.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 4
randyp

Wrong choice of words. I am working on a large project (Inventor 2014) and doing the detailing on it. Been working on this for several weeks and have several drawings in idw. but all of a sudden it gives me the "cannot modify library file" and has brought me to a complete halt. I went in another project and have no problems bringing the parts up in idw. so something tells me I did something but do not know what.

Message 4 of 4
blair

Check the directory that the IDW resides in against the Project work directory. Almost sounds like your Project file has been changed and the IDW now resides in a different directory.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report