Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot exit IV 2012, hangs on exit

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
m.granata
1213 Views, 30 Replies

Cannot exit IV 2012, hangs on exit

I am using Inventor Product Design Suite 2012.  When I try to exit Inventor 2012 it just hangs there indefinitely every time.  I have to use task manager to shut down Inventor.  It doesn't matter if I use Inventor during that session or not.  It was installed with all default settings and most current patches installed.  It was also installed with administrator privledges and UAC turned off.  This ia a clean install on a new hard disk drive.

The AutoCAD products in the bundle will hang sometimes on exit if plotting was the last command in that session.

My system is:

HP XW 8400

Dual Zeon 3.0 GHz CPU's

4 GB Ram

NVidia Quadro FX1800 Graphics Card

Windows 7 Professional with all current updates

All drivers are current

There are no anti virus software packages on this system.  The hard drive still has 120 GB free space.  Help, very frustrated.  My tolerance for computer issues reduces as I age.  My only saving grace is I don't have any IV work that needs to be finished immediately.

Thanks

Mike

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
m.granata
in reply to: m.granata

HELLO,

I can't believe I am the only person experiencing this issue.

Message 3 of 31
m.granata

REALLY, ANYBODY EVER HAVE THIS ISSUE.

Message 4 of 31
blair

Sorry, not here. Since Inventor writes to the Registry on closing (any user changes to the program/screen settings) I might start looking at a problem with the Registry. Not having any A/V software may mean that you could have a Virus that is affecting your Registry.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 31
m.granata

As stated in my first post.  This is a clean install on a new hard disk drive.  I will add, I am doing these installs from the thumb drive supplied by Autodesk.  I have performed three software removals and installs in an attempt to solve this and during every install I have received at least one error message.  The error messages were different during each install and occurred at different times during each install.  I ordered a copy on DVD but Autodesk's delivery time to California is about a week.  Downloading another copy of this suite is too time consuming with a DSL internet connection.

I need to resolve this.  I never had this type of issue with prior versions of Inventor.  So far, Inventor is the only application in the suite that does this.  It may or may not be an IV 2012 issue.  In the mean time Autodesk is emailing me statements to renew my subscription.  I'd like to, but I don't know at this point?  Their customer service is not as good as it use to be.

Back to your responce.  What would cause IV 2012 to lock up when it tries to write to the Windows registry upn exiting?

Message 6 of 31
blair

Not sure, why. I might turn off/disable all Add-ins and see if it closes down properly.

I'm just pulling at straws here.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 31

Hi,

Can you right click on your windows screen and go to windows task manager. Look for the inventor.exe's running on the process tab. If you see anything like the one below,

Untitled.png

Then this process gets spawned by the VBA editor. Do you automatically load VBA ?

If yes can you ask to uncheck this option in the Application Options and see if this influences the close behavior.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 8 of 31

Hello,

In responce to your possible solution below:

Can you right click on your windows screen and go to windows task manager. Look for the inventor.exe's running on the process tab. If you see anything like the one below,

Untitled.png

Then this process gets spawned by the VBA editor. Do you automatically load VBA ?

If yes can you ask to uncheck this option in the Application Options and see if this influences the close behavior.

RESPONCE:

1)  When I right click and go to task manager the only Inventor processes I see are the two you have shown above.  However, the memory usage I see is Inventor.exe ---> 159800 and continuously climbing, and Inventor32bitHost.exe *32 ---> 2468 and fixed at that value.

2)  As best I can tell VBA does not automatically load.  This option is and has always been unchecked in the Applications Options.

3)  I have tried starting and saving a new part file during a session and when I exit the part file closes normally then Inventor freezes.  As before if no part file or actions are taken Inventor just freezes upn exit.

Thanks 

Message 9 of 31
Ray_Feiler

I had this same issue today. It resolved itself when a dialog box popped up asking if I wanted to install Cloud optimization. After I click ok and it installed Inventor started to exit normally when I click the red X.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 10 of 31
blair

If Inventor is not opened on your machine, remove these tasks.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 31
m.granata
in reply to: blair

Let me clarify.  Those processes are only available in task manager when Inventor is open.

Message 12 of 31
m.granata

HELLO AUTODESK,

Thank you for the one responce.  Just checking though, is one responce for Autodesk tech help the maximum limit?  Autodesk, shift some of your focus from your shareholders to your customer base.

Message 13 of 31
Lance127

This isn't the Autodesk support forum, even though the Deskers sometime post here.

Have you contacted you reseller yet? That might get you a faster response.

To try and answer the question though, copy the install files from the usb drive to your hard drive and try the install again.

Lance W.
Inventor Pro 2013 (PDS Ultimate)
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 14 of 31
m.granata

Thanks, that's the most help I have received yet.  I will remove the software and try one more reinstall using your method.  If that doesn't do it I will have to contact my reseller.

Message 15 of 31
MikahB

Just ran into this exact issue.  The post here that mentioned it went away when the popup for Cloud Optimization was answered has hit it on the head.  A REINSTALL WILL MAKE NO DIFFERENCE!!!  I installed and uninstalled for the better part of a day chasing it - no dice.

I do not know the exact specifics, but Inventor is downloading a MASSIVE amount of data as soon as you open it.  You can use your resource monitor to watch the inventor.exe network usage, it goes and goes.  I would guess something in the 300MB of data get downloaded, then the popup comes up.  Once you answer the popup (I never even saw what it said, I had already requested Inventor to terminate), you will no longer have this problem.

So, if you have a fast Internet connection (I don't), just let it run and stay open for long enough to download 300MB and you should have your problem solved.

In the meantime for my situation, I used Windows Firewall to block Internet access for Inventor and the behavior returned to normal.

This is a problem and I hope Autodesk does something to remedy it.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 16 of 31
m.granata

Thanks, I will do that before another install.  I will post the results.

Thank you

Message 17 of 31
m.granata

Thanks Mikah Barnett and Ray Feiler.  Your posts explaining the cause was corect.  My slower DSL connection took longer to download the file preventing Inventor from closing.  I don't know Autodesk wasn't aware of this issue.

Thank you,

Mike

Message 18 of 31

Hi Mike,

We have seen this issue from some of our customers. However we couldn't able to reproduce it at our end. Can you provide me exact steps that you did to correct the behavior. Is it only increasing your internet connectivity fixed the problem.

We have also reports that a conflict happens to the communication center that is causing the crash. However, if someone who can reproduce this could run the  process explorer from the link below and provide me a log file during the inventor hang, this would help us a lot to investigate further.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 19 of 31

Vinod,

Steps to reproduce the issue I had (I can't speak for Mike but his sounded exactly the same):

1) Install new hard drive in system

2) Install Operating System - in my case Windows 7 x64 and all Windows Updates

3) Perform clean install of Inventor 2012 from Autodesk provided USB drive

4) Start Inventor and watch Resource Manager - network usage for Inventor.exe will peg.

Unfortunately I do not have time to uninstall/reinstall Inventor again to run Process Explorer, but I can't believe there is anything that unique about reproducing it.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 20 of 31

Thanks Mike and everyone for your valuable inputs.

We are aware of this issue and currently investigating it. We could able to reproduce the problem on our end. We are suspecting this to be an issue due to background download performed by Inventor Optimization cloud addin. We deeply apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I will keep you all posted as soon as I have some updates from our developers.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report