Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot edit sketch in .ipt file.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
2431 Views, 8 Replies

Cannot edit sketch in .ipt file.

howdy,

I got the attached file (.ipt) from an online database (so its created by someone else) and I can't figure out how to edit it. I can seem to select planes but do not get the three options edit extrude, edit sketch, create sketch. Also, I can't change the material (wood, plastic, steel, etc.). What steps do I need to follow to make it fully editable? 

Thanks

I'm using inventor pro 2015.

experience level: rock bottom

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
BarryZA
in reply to: Anonymous

This part was not modelled up in Inventor, hence it is a "dumb solid" (or surface in this case) To change the appearance you can RMB on the "Composite 1" in the browser and select iproperties.

To edit this part you could try the new direct modeling options Autodesk have included in 2015.

Message 3 of 9
salariua

Barry is right, you can't edit this file directly, it came in a surfaces anyway.

You can stitch surfaces to get it into a solid and then you can assign material.

519.jpg

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 4 of 9
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

What steps do I need to follow to make it fully editable?  

See attached file.

It has always been possible to directly edit solid models in Inventor (not just r2015).

If you are on subscription you might also download Feature Recognition add-in.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/AU2008/ML205-1P%20Mather.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Hi everyone, thanks for the comments.

from all the comments:

I can make the drawing a specific material and stitch it into a solid material. I'm left with a new composite which is a repaired geometry,  and a stitched surface with a composite. I am now able to edit the edges and give fillets, but I can't edit lengths(dimensions) of sides and I can't edit a sketch to easily delete holes/extrusions. I feel close yet so far way; am I trying to do an impossible task? I like the document that was included but it is old enough to confuse me sense a few processes are different or atleast the names of the tools and their placement in the activity tree.

Message 6 of 9
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

.... the document that was included but it is old enough to confuse me sense a few processes are different or atleast the names of the tools and their placement in the activity tree.

It is getting a little out of date.

In later releases you must Enable the Construction Environment.

Construction Environment.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 9
JDMather

Is something like attached what you are after?

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Yes, your attachment is like what I'm trying to achieve, but have not succeeded. I must ask, how did you do it? I'll probably use this process again in the future.

Message 9 of 9
JDMather

If you untrim the surfaces (Extract Loop) you can get back to the originating geometry.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report