Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot dimension drawing views, HELP

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
m.granata
815 Views, 9 Replies

cannot dimension drawing views, HELP

I am using Inventor 2013.  For some reason I cannot dimension some of the model entities in the drawing views in an idw file.  I can retrieve the model dimensions but it is usually easier to create the dimensions I need in each view.  This is the first time I have had this issue.  What causes this?  I can select the line, curve, etc. when dimensioning but nothing happens.

After I think about it.  What I cannot dimension are lofts that I created with rails.  These rails were made up of lines and curves, not polylines.  How do I get the sketches for the rails I used for lofting to display in the drawing views so I can dimension those sketches.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Cadmanto
in reply to: m.granata

Try restarting your computer or your session of Inventor.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 10
ampster402

by chance were these files created in something earlier than 2013?  If so, were they migrated up to 2013 or did you just open them?

Message 4 of 10
m.granata

Rebooted workstation, same results.  All files were created in Inventor 2013.  Including the idw template file.

Message 5 of 10
karthur1

update 2 installed?  Can you post the part or duplicate it on another part?

Message 6 of 10
m.granata

I need to install update 2.  I found a method that works, although it may not be the best.  In the model tree, select the appropriate model sketch, rt mouse click, select include.  I am then able to dimension the model sketch of the rails in the drawing view.  Thanks for your help.

Message 7 of 10
JDMather

I'm sure Autodesk would like to see this dataset.

Can you attach the files here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
Mopico

Do you have "Edge Property Selection" set.  It should be the default, but stranger things have happened.

Message 9 of 10
m.granata

I will double check that.  But it is just the lofted bodies that are giving me this problem.  I figured out how to dimension the rails I sketched to guide the lofts in a drawing view and that is what is critical.  These lofts are fairly complex, at least from my experience.

Message 10 of 10
PaulMunford

Double check that the drawing view is perfectly plannar to the view.

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report