Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Convert to Weldment

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
dbcox
3292 Views, 6 Replies

Cannot Convert to Weldment

Hi everyone,

I have a medium sized assembly that I was working with.  I decided I needed to create a weldment, so I stripped the assembly of all subassemblies, individual parts, etc and saved it as a different name.  However, Inventor will not allow me to convert it to a weldment.  That optoin is greyed out.

The only thing I can think of is I have a base part that I have hidden.  It is used to drive the assembly.  Perhaps that is causing a problem, but I cannot remove it or all associativity will be lost.  I deleted it temporarily to try, but did not save it.  The conver to weldment option did not appear after I deleted it.

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
blair
in reply to: dbcox

Possibly try demoting the items to a new sub assembly and then convert it to a weldment. You could have done this in the main assembly. Just RMB on one of the part you wish to use in the weldment. It will then create a new IAM and push the parts into that new IAM while maintaining their constraints and location.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 7
dbcox
in reply to: blair

Blair,

Thank you for the suggestion!  Please pardon my ignorance, but how can I demote them to a new subassembly?

What does RMB stand for?

Thank you!

Message 4 of 7
blair

RMB: Right Mouse Button.

Simply select one of the items you wish to demote into the new sub assembly. Then RMB on it, a popup menu will appear, select Demote. The dialogue will then ask for a new file name and a new sub assembly in the main IAM will be created. Drag the other IPT's to this new iam in the browser window.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 7
jtylerbc

I believe this can be caused by having Positional Representations in the model.  PosReps and Weldments don't like each other - they are mutually exclusive.

Check to see if you have any Positional Representations in your assembly - if you do, delete them and see if that lets you convert.

Message 6 of 7
dbcox
in reply to: jtylerbc

Thanks guys!  The positional representations were causing the problem!

Next time, I will use the demotion trick!

Thanks!

Message 7 of 7
henrik.selin
in reply to: jtylerbc

Thank's this solved my problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report