Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot constrain to this part

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
RobJV
368 Views, 6 Replies

Cannot constrain to this part

I am probably missing something obvious but for some reason I cannot constrain to the surfaces of this part - only the origin planes.  Could somebody please take a look and let me know what you discover?

Inventor 2011 part

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: RobJV

Works here in 2012?
Shouldn't this part be uniform thickness?
If so, wouldn't Contoured Flange be a lot easier?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
RobJV
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JD,

Thanks for checking in 2012 - could somebody also check in 2011?  If it works then I will upload the assembly as I cannot get it to constrain by surface at all.  I will also upload a video as it seems unbelievable.

(JD - Contour flange would be much simpler but there was a reason for doing it this way and there is also a reason why the part does not have uniform thickness - thanks though.)

Rob

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

I am on my 2011 machine today and I get errors on the "outside" faces of the C (except for the ends). Constraints work on the "inside" faces and ends.
I'll have to check again in 2012 now that I see the constraint error.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 7
RobJV
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for confirming.  I may send this part to Autodesk as it created a lot of time and grief for me in my assembly as it took forever to troubleshoot my constraint errors.  Who would have thought that a part with flat sides cannot be constrained too?  Or maybe somebody from Autodesk could take a look from here.

Rob

Message 6 of 7
RobJV

Could anybody from Autodesk take a look?  This is a big pain in my assembly as I cannot constrain as I want.

Rob

Message 7 of 7
Allen.Bai

Seemingly it works well after re-create thincken in Inventor 2011 and 2012. Maybe you can try it on 2011 or 2012 version.

Allen Bai
Senior User Experience Designer
Design, Lifecycle & Simulation

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report