Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot add a linked pdf to Inventor file but I am able to add linked MS files

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Lhann
1935 Views, 10 Replies

cannot add a linked pdf to Inventor file but I am able to add linked MS files

I have a user who is unable to add a linked pdf to his .iam or .ipt files using Inventor 2010.

He is able to link MS office files just fine but gets the following error when attempting to link a pdf.

A document server is not available for the given file.  The file will be embedded instead of linked.

The pdf was created within the last week.

I completed the following to troubleshoot:

uninstall and reinstall inventor

installed all 4 service packs

Installed a hotfix from microsoft to fix the issue with MS office files

Any ideas on how to resolve?

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Cadmanto
in reply to: Lhann

Did you create the pdf file?  Do you know how the pdf file was created?  Does the pdf file have embedded links in it?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 11
mdavis22569

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Attach-PDF-to-dwfx/td-p/4858294 is this what you're looking for ... it's in the attachment on the last post

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
Lhann
in reply to: Cadmanto

The pdf was created using PDFcreater for a schematic software we use called Promi-e. It does not have any embedded links in th pdf. This issue appears to be specific to his desktop pc. He is able to link the same pdf just fine in his laptop.
Message 5 of 11
Lhann

We link our schmatic pdf's to the ipt or iam.
Message 6 of 11
Cadmanto

Is this schematic software on the PC having the issues?  Can you print to pdf or save to pdf out of the schematic software instead of using the pdf creater software?  To see if this makes any difference?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 11
Lhann
in reply to: Cadmanto

This designer may get a pdf, generated the same way, by serveral different users. And as I had said in previous email, it links just fine with a different pc. We had the same issue with MS office docs but microsoft had a hot fix that corrected the issue. Now I just need to find a solution for the pdf files.
Message 8 of 11
Cadmanto

I was just trying to offer a different method of creating the pdf that might work better or give you different results.

Sounds like this might be more of a hotfix solution as you eluded to.

Sorry to say, I do not know of any hotfixes that would speak to this problem.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 11
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Lhann,

I think the issue is with the application that is set as the default PDF program. If you right click on a PDF file and choose Open With > Choose Program, and then select Adobe Reader, so that Adobe becomes the default PDF program, I think this will resolve the issue. If you don't have Adobe Reader installed you might need to install it first.

We had a simialr issue with PDF-Xchange in the past. When it was set as the default PDF application, we had issues with PDFs in Inventor.

If the instructions above don't work for you try these:

(Windows XP)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859

(Windows 7)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-default-programs#1TC=windows-7

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 10 of 11
Lhann

I believe I found the solution.  It actually was a simple fix.  Unfortunately it took the time that it did to find.

I uninstalled Acrobat reader, restarted the pc, downloaded and installed the latest version of Acrobat Reader and now I can link a pdf to my ipt and iam files.  It would have been nice if Inventor had error messages that provided more information other than "cannot find server for this file" or "cannot find file".

Message 11 of 11
Cadmanto

I am glad you found a solution to your issue.  As far as the error messages, I am with you.  In fact you might want to cast a kudo vote and post a comment to this idea.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Vault-IdeaStation/More-Intuitive-Error-Messages/idi-p/3818359

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report