Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you save files for 2012 in 2013?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
dwyingling
8085 Views, 10 Replies

Can you save files for 2012 in 2013?

Can you save files for 2012 in 2013?  I have the ability to upgrade to 2013 while others at my company are not able to, since they were not put on the subscription service.  If I upgrade will they still be able to open my files or can I back save to a previous version?  I know I can save it as different file type, like .iges or .step, then use feature recognition.  But I need them to have full editability to sketches and features.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Inventor has never been able to save a file as the previous versions.  You can open a old version in the newest but not the other way around.

Thanks,

Chris Hutchinson

Message 3 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: dwyingling

Nope.. Files saved in newer versions cannot be opened natively in a previous version.

You can do the feature recognition but thats not a proper solution for a situation like you describe..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 11
dwyingling

Thanks for the information.  I figured that would be the case.

Message 5 of 11

"Inventor has never been able to save a file as the previous versions"

Some what correct There was one version you can go back to an older version and open new version in. Does any one remember what version?

Message 6 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: jletcher

might have been 5 & 5.3   there wasn't a file format change (not really saving to an earlier version)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 11

It was around version 7, but it was not a case of allowing versions to be saved backwards. It was that no changes were made to the Inventor modeling kernel in the new release, so there was no migration when the file was saved in the later version meaning they still opened in the previous release.

Regards

Martin 

Inventor 2023
Message 8 of 11

You guy's have been using Inventor for FAR longer than I have.  I didn't quit using MDT (started with it when it was called AutoCad Designer running in DOS & I still have the original box and media on a shelf) until Inventor 2009.   I was reluctant to transition, but now I'm only doing some 2D data sheet drawings in Autocad.  I think Inventor is a great tool and couldn't see myself using anything else.

Thanks,

Chris Hutcinson

Duke Energy

Charlotte, NC

Message 9 of 11
jporter
in reply to: mcgyvr

I'm not an Inventor guru.  I'm actually filling in for the guru who is out today.  I'm not even an Inventor user so please bear with me.  I've got a client who opened a file in Inventor 2013 and saved it.  Now he's got to send it to someone else who has only Inventor 2012.  Is there any method whatsoever to convert a 2013 file back to 2012? 

Thanks in advance,

JP

Jason Porter
ASTI Civil Solutions Technical Advisor
www.asti.com
Message 10 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: jporter

Save Copy As type STEP (*.step)

Use Feature Recognition add-in from labs.autodesk.com in 2012

out of luck for drawings (*.idw or *.dwg)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
412dmark

Try going back to an "OldVersion" file. I think the default is 3 oldversion files saved. Look at the date of each of the files, unless it was saved several times.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report