Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you customize Inventor 2013's GUI to look like earlier Inventor?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
DominicGreco
1042 Views, 17 Replies

Can you customize Inventor 2013's GUI to look like earlier Inventor?

As the thread title suggests, I would love to be able to customize Inventor 2013's user interface to make it look more like the older version of Inventor. You can do that with AutoCad Mechanical. You simply change the view to "AutoCad classis" and those annoying "panel bars" go away and you get a pull down screen. 

Can you do the same with Inventor?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
mrattray
in reply to: DominicGreco

No.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 18
john.laidler

I love the 'ribbon'... much better than the older version.

John Laidler
AutoCAD, Inventor and Vault

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.
Message 4 of 18
karthur1

Dominic,

Since you are new to Inventor (just assuming that since this is your first post), just learn to use the ribbon.  Once you get comfortable with Inventor, you can customize some of the commands and add some of your own.  I would not do it until you are comfortable with it though.

Message 5 of 18
DominicGreco
in reply to: karthur1

I'm not new to Inventer per se. I am new to Inventor 2013. I used to use Inventor 2008 before.

Now that I have 2013 available I need to refresh my knowledge of Inventor. All my notes and the tutorial DVD I have are for 2008. I wanted to follow along with them without searching wildly for commands. 

So it sounds like I'm out of luck. My company will purchase a tutorial for 2013. It just takes a while for the paperwork to get processed and I need to get up to speed NOW. Hence the reason I'm using this old tutorial.

I realize that there are online tutorials. But I liked this DVD based one. Using that DVD tutorial back in 2008 I was able to pick up Inventor in less than a week.

Message 6 of 18
mcgyvr

yep..get used to the ribbon.. Its fairly intuitive once you get started using it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 18
ampster402

@Anonymous wrote:
I wanted to follow along with them without searching wildly for commands.

There is a "Command Locator" option on the "Get Started" tab which should tame down those searches!  At least that's where it's at in 2011.

Message 8 of 18
karthur1
in reply to: ampster402

@ampster402 wrote:
There is a "Command Locator" option on the "Get Started" tab which should tame down those searches!  At least that's where it's at in 2011.

Smiley Very Happy       They moved that too......Smiley Surprised

No longer have a "User Interface Overview" panel.  We do have some neat videos though that are very basic.

Message 9 of 18
cwhetten

There is a search tool in the application menu (big yellow I in the top left corner) that lets you find a command.  Just type the command name in the search field and it shows a list of commands that match your search.  You can run the command from the results list, and it also tells you where that command is found on the ribbon.

Command Search.png

Message 10 of 18
wilkhui

Hi Dominic,

Now that I have 2013 available I need to refresh my knowledge of Inventor. All my notes and the tutorial DVD I have are for 2008. 

I realise you mention that you've looked at some online tutorials, but does the link below help?

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/0126-Tutorial126

Thanks!

Indy

Inderjeet Singh Wilkhu
Product Owner - ASM
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 18
dan_inv09

"I wanted to follow along with them without searching wildly for commands."

I'm still searching wildly for commands.

But the kids today are used to seeing Ribbons in the newer versions of Office. Which is good because now your company won't lose any productivity when switching to lower salaried new hires (any design and/or Inventor knowledge you have built up will be more than offset by their comfort with the interface, and their videogame trained hands won't be slowed down making all the extra clicks we need now).

Remember when your mother would say, "If everyone else was jumping off a bridge ...".

A bad decision is still a bad decision even if Microsoft makes it.

Message 12 of 18
jletcher
in reply to: dan_inv09

Yep yep

and no kids hate the ribbon.. I go up to my sons school to the drafting department and I show them Inventor I only have 2011 on my labtop so I can show them both. Then I would let them play with it come to find out they hate the ribbon they all went back to the classic. I asked why and the said they don't have to look for the command it has two tabs sketch and model one even customized the classic he had all commands in one tab (like me hehe).

No this was a big mistake by autodesk and as soon as I am done with this client and one more I think I will start driving a truck again at least I know they will not take my gas pedal and stick it in the glove box.....

I know I will have the school set up a test room for me and I will get 20 students 10 on classic and 10 on ribbon and I will give them each 10 parts to make and see who makes them faster. And all the students have no Inventor skills at all.

I will let you know school starts here in a few weeks I know the drafting teacher I will ask him tonight if we can do this.

Message 13 of 18
mcgyvr

@dan_inv09 wrote:

"I wanted to follow along with them without searching wildly for commands."

I'm still searching wildly for commands.

But the kids today are used to seeing Ribbons in the newer versions of Office. Which is good because now your company won't lose any productivity when switching to lower salaried new hires (any design and/or Inventor knowledge you have built up will be more than offset by their comfort with the interface, and their videogame trained hands won't be slowed down making all the extra clicks we need now).

Remember when your mother would say, "If everyone else was jumping off a bridge ...".

A bad decision is still a bad decision even if Microsoft makes it.

It's no use crying over spilled milk..

At this point I could care less about a ribbon or a classic interface.. I only press maybe 2 or 3 buttons on the ribbon all day long.. Everything else is either programmed into my space pilot or I use the hotkeys..

I'm just glad that as I'm getting older I can still learn to change and work smarter instead of just sitting on my porch complaining. Smiley Tongue

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 14 of 18
karthur1
in reply to: jletcher

@Anonymous wrote:

....I think I will start driving a truck again at least I know they will not take my gas pedal and stick it in the glove box.....

.. thats funny.  Are you old enough to remember when the dimmer switch was on the floor by your left foot instead of on the column?  That was mass confusion for a while.  You would met an oncoming car and start stomping the floor trying to hit the dimmer.

Everything changes.

Message 15 of 18
jletcher

LOL yeah I remember those. I miss those

just kidding lol.

Message 16 of 18
ampster402
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

instead of just sitting on my porch complaining. Smiley Tongue

What?  That isn't happening around here!

Message 17 of 18
blair

Dimmer switch on the floor and real vent windows that you could swing around and direct the air on you. Also with the window down and the vent window opened, it gave you something to hang onto while your arm rested on the lower portion of the window opening. That way you could really work on the old left-arm only tan.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 18 of 18
karthur1
in reply to: blair

I remember the vent window in my dads old truck wouldn't stay opened at all.  It would just flop back closed when you let it go.  Had to hold it open all the time if you wanted any air.  The post behind the vent window did make for a good hand hold when the ride got too rough.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report