Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you copy a Base into a new part and make it sheet metal?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
AmarD90
427 Views, 7 Replies

Can you copy a Base into a new part and make it sheet metal?

In the attchement file you'll see an orange part, which in the tree is called "Base 9". Is it possible to somehow copy this into a new seperate part and then make it sheet metal and unfold? Or do I have to completely redraw it and all that?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
salariua
in reply to: AmarD90

You should be able to convert it to sheet metal directly. You can either save as, or do a derived part if you need a different file.

I think you hit a soft spot because when I try and convert it to sheet metal it complains about the model having multiple bodies which is false. There is only one solid body.

I am using AIP2015, have attached the derived part which converts alright, but that's an extra step you shouldn't need to take.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 3 of 8
AmarD90
in reply to: salariua

I'm using 2014 unfortunately. I get the same problem. When I press convert to sheet metal I get the error message that there are several bodies. Were you able to convert it to sheet metal?
Message 4 of 8
AmarD90

I tried this whole derived part thing but I wasn't able to make it work.
Message 5 of 8
WHolzwarth

Try this:

- Save Copy as STEP

- Open this STEP file

- Convert to SM

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
salariua

Open an new part, click on create derive and in the options dialog after selecting fan guard 3d make sure you select " Single solid body".

4.jpg

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Message 7 of 8
AmarD90
in reply to: WHolzwarth

That actually worked. Much obliged. I really can't wrap my head around Inventor. I used to work with Solid Works for a couple of years. The programs are similar and have pretty much the same layout but is some ways they are so different.
Message 8 of 8
salariua

I think diversity is good!

If you only need the dxf profile of the flat pattern and you get a lot of these parts in a different cad format, this is how I would do it.

Open new part, derive your first file (merged body), convert to sheet metal, (make sure thickness is correct, setup sheet metal defaults). Go to Flat Pattern.

A. You only need outline shape: Right click on the main face of the part, "Export face As"

B. You need bending lines as well: right click on Flat Pattern on the browser, "Save copy as" , chose dxf.

C. Need a drawing border as well: Do a drawing and place your flat pattern, export the drawing.

I would go back to my model delete "Fan Guard " in the browser and derive a different part. Redo steps above.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report