Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you convert an idw file to a vsd file "Visio"

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Calavetta123
830 Views, 3 Replies

Can you convert an idw file to a vsd file "Visio"

I am working with a few engineers and they want me to convert the idw drawing file to a vsd "Visio" file for there redline process. They would like to be able to play with the line work in Visio. Is this possible?

IV 2024 Pro-Suite / VP 2024
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Lance127
in reply to: Calavetta123

No idea with Visio but my guess would be no they can't alter line work if you can get it to the correct format.

Have they looked at Design Review for doing the markups?

Lance W.
Inventor Pro 2013 (PDS Ultimate)
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 3 of 4
Calavetta123
in reply to: Lance127

They do use Design Review but you are not able to edit the actual line work. You can only redline the drawing and then the drafters have to make the actual changes. They want to be able to make changes in Visio with the line work so then when the drafters are given the redlined drawings they will know exactly what the final product should look like instead of seeing a bunch of stuff crossed out and other things added. It sometimes can get a bit messy when they start doing total design changes off of existing drawings. 

Robert

IV 2024 Pro-Suite / VP 2024
Message 4 of 4
HughBIM
in reply to: Calavetta123

Perhaps one option may be to convert the IDW to an Autocad "DWG" file. The engineers can markup the DWG as well as add new lines as required without losing the integrity and traceability of the original drawing. Best though to do new line work on a new layer!

If the engineers do not have Autocad to do this they can use Draftsight instead (its free!).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report