Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the thickness and bend radius be changed on a derived Sheetmetal Parts

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
msentz
451 Views, 2 Replies

Can the thickness and bend radius be changed on a derived Sheetmetal Parts

I have read posts asking how to unfold a derived part and the answer is often that you must set the thickness to match the original.  But what if I don't want it to be the same as the origianl?

Here is what I really want to do.

I have sheet metal pieces modeled for one plant.  They are now going to be manufactured in another plant with different equipment and sheet metal standards.  So the thickness they use is different and the bend radii are different, but the part must function the same.

I would like to stick the original designed part in a secure read only location and allow the "local" plant to derive the part and change the sheet metal parameters to what they need without changing the original design.  I think that another team in my company does this in Pro engineer.

Perhaps the answer isn't a derived part but something I haven't thought of.

Thanks!

Mike

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: msentz

Derived Component as surface body.

Thicken the planar faces by new desired Thickness.

Add the new R bends.

or

If you do not need to maintain associativity - simply Save As new name and change the parameters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 3
msentz
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks!

Yes I have to keep them linked for revisions.

My only thought before I try it is that this method may be good for a relatively simple part, but will happen to a complex part?  In theory we design the pieces such that the thickness and bend radii can change without disrupting the design intent.  If this method is used and the surface is thickened in one direction, I'm thinking parts that are nested may not behave as intended.

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report