Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 run Inventor or act as a tablet input device?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
hajimeml
2345 Views, 4 Replies

Can the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 run Inventor or act as a tablet input device?

Hello, I am considering to buy an iPad Air or the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014. The latter has a stylus. Is it possible for this Android device to run Inventor? If not, can it be used as an input device to connect to a laptop PC that runs the software?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
PaulMunford
in reply to: hajimeml

No. Inventor won't run on a tablet.

Why do you want to use inventor in this way?

There is a technology called Autodesk remote that runs on an iPad.
http://autodeskmfg.typepad.com/blog/2013/07/autodesk-remote-launched-for-subscription-customers.html

Autodesk have recently acquired a technology that will allow them to deliver any software via a web browser: http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/2013/11/running-autodesk-applications-in-my-web-browser-...

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 3 of 5
hajimeml
in reply to: PaulMunford

Thanks for the info.

>Why do you want to use inventor in this way?

I need a tablet as an input device for 3D applications such as Inventor, SolidWorks and 3D Max.  Since I am considering to buy an iPad or Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 for other purposes and I am torn between the two, I wonder if I could also use the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 as an input device. If so, this helps the purchase decision.

There is a technology called Autodesk remote that runs on an iPad.
http://autodeskmfg.typepad.com/blog/2013/07/autodesk-remote-launched-for-subscription-customers.html

How well does it work? I suspect that it will be very slow to run such 3D applications especially when connecting through wifi.

Message 4 of 5
swalton
in reply to: hajimeml

I've used the remote tool for an hour or so. I had a project for my son's club and I had a bunch of parents in my garage working.  I used the remote app to show everyone what they were susposed to be building.  That way I did not have them crowded around my (messy) workstation in my home office. 

It seems similar to Microsoft's Remote Desktop.  It was nowhere near as responsive as using a 3d controller and mouse at my desk.  I have not tried it outside of my home wireless network.

Unless you have some use-case that requires a touch interface, I think you would be better served spending the purchase price of the tablet on a better desktop, 3d controller or additional monitors. 

I would not use a laptop for production work with inventor, but I design 10k-50k member assemblies. 

I am not aware of any 3d design application that runs on a tablet.  Maybe a Microsoft Surface Pro can run Invnetor, but why?

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 5
howardlee306
in reply to: swalton

for an input device have you looked at the Wacom Cintique input devices? Pricing but highly valued in the artistis world. It just duplicates the display so your drawing on the tablet so no reason it won't work with Inventor. I have tried the cheaper Bamboo tablet on mine and it was up and working in under 30 seconds.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report