Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use model sketches within a drawing view sketch?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
dick_upton
1824 Views, 8 Replies

Can't use model sketches within a drawing view sketch?

I can "Get Model Sketch" to make it appear visible in a drawing view. But I can find no way to use these "edges" or "lines" or "entities" or whatever they are, later in a drawing view sketch. No way to project them from Model Sketch to Drawing View sketch. I can attach leaders and dimensions to these Model Sketch entitites but I can find no way to use them in a sketch owned by the drawing view. Am I missing something?

IV2012 SP1

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi dick_upton, 

Is the sketch parallel to the drawing view? If not the sketch can not be displayed.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 9

Oh, it displays just fine, I just can't project any of the lines that are displayed into a drawing view sketch. It doesn't to me that they can be used that way.

Message 4 of 9

Hi dick_upton,

Is your sketch associated with the view? Meaning that the sketch was created by selecting the view first and then creating the sketch. If the sketch is not associated to the view, then you can't use it to project geometry.

If you click and drag on the view and the sketch doesn't move with the view, then this is likely the issue. If it does move, then it is associated and there is something else going on.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 5 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: dick_upton

@dick_upton wrote:

Oh, it displays just fine, I just can't project any of the lines that are displayed into a drawing view sketch. It doesn't to me that they can be used that way. 

I just verified in 2012 that it does not work.
You cannot Project Geometry included model sketches.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
dick_upton
in reply to: JDMather

Yes I was just going to say that I can confirm that the sketch is owned by the view, but thanks for the confirmation JD.

Wonder if I'll be waiting 12 years for this fix, like the cancel command.

Message 7 of 9
dick_upton
in reply to: dick_upton

Seems to me that Autodesk should be wise enough to use these forums as a simple way to log feature requests. Add a button below Accept As Solution:

- Accept As Solution

- Solution does not exist - Request action by Autodesk.

Could get us away from the snarky "please submit a feature request" replies by the devs.

Message 8 of 9

@Anonymous wrote:

I just verified in 2012 that it does not work.
You cannot Project Geometry included model sketches.

Hi JDMather,

Now that you mention it I don't think it ever worked that way. Smiley Embarassed

I was thlinking of the model edges requiring an associated sketch to be projected. I just checked in an older version and indeed you can't project model sketches in an associated sketch.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 9 of 9
lawolff
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums