Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't seem to derive an assembly

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
RANDYWINDERS
551 Views, 5 Replies

Can't seem to derive an assembly

I'm trying to derive an assembly into a part so I can save it as a sat file to send to a customer. 

I can derive some subassemblies separately, but when I try to derive the top level assembly I get a dialog box that says ;

"The attempted operation did not produce a meaningful result. Try with different"

I have tried rebuild all, making sure all parts are checked out and saved. The result I get is only a partial rendition of the assembly. 

I'm running Inventor 2015

Thanks in advance for any help.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: RANDYWINDERS

If you remove parts one-by-one does it suddenly work?

You can also export an assembly directly as an *.sat, but there might be a good reason to union them all together with Derived Component.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
RANDYWINDERS
in reply to: JDMather

There are over 300 parts in this assembly and I was hoping to not have to take part off one by one. I don't want the customer to "part out" the assembly. We are trying to preserve intelectual property. I guess I can start to start deriving the pieces. 

One more bit of information. we recently upgraded from 2009 to 2015. Might that make things a bit more difficult?

Message 4 of 6
mflayler2

Have all the files been migrated to 2015? Try a Rebuild All and then Save your Assembly and all the parts to migrate them. See if that kicks it over for you.

If not, try the Shrinkwrap tool to see if that gives you the same error.

2014-10-13_18-18-43.png

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 5 of 6
RANDYWINDERS
in reply to: mflayler2

I've tried rebuild all and save. I saw the long list of files in the dialog box that said the following files have been migrated.

Shrinkwrap gives me the same result. 

The error bos has two lines, 

filename: Errors occurred during update

The attempted operation dod not produce a meaningful result. Try with different

OK, different what. Not sure why its updateing either. The assembly was freshly rebuilt and saved

Message 6 of 6
RANDYWINDERS

Finally found it. There was a weld on hinge that I got as a step file years ago that was causing the problem. I had to remodel it and replace it in the assembly but it worked.

Thanks guys for your time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report