Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't populate route.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
MatixYo
2647 Views, 13 Replies

Can't populate route.

Hello,

I've tried Tube and Pipe tool in Inventor to use it to create flexible hose but I encountered some troubles.

At first when I'm trying to make route with starting point inside the fitting and next at the outlet it and populate it, it gives me an error "The sweep operation failed for the flexible hose. Adjust the hose geometry and try again." And when I use this tool to connect to fittings with flexible hose in such order

Fitting 1 Inside > Fitting 1 Outlet > Fitting 2 Outlet > Fitting 2 Inside it turns one of route points in another direction. I hope you understood. Why is it like this?

My another question is how to set hose length fixed. Because it will be connected to the moving part and I want to keep it as long as it's needed.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
blair
in reply to: MatixYo

Check your Tube Styles, sounds like either the minimum length or radius is causing the problem. You will have to adjust your run or edit your parameter in the Tube Style.

You will need to hover your mouse over the tube end and it will then allow you to change the run direction.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 14
MatixYo
in reply to: blair

It turns only in first fitting. Also it didn't answer my second question about how to hardcode hose's length.

Message 4 of 14
cbenner

For your first question, post an image of the route you are trying to create.  it is difficult to picture what you are trying to do.

For the second question, depending on the route you are creating, can you control the hose length with route dimensions and constraints?  Won't know for sure until we can see an example of your route.

Message 5 of 14
MatixYo
in reply to: cbenner

This is the image of route. As you may notice it's missing first route point.

Whole.PNG

Here you can see second fitting (actually half of it). It's pretty ok.

Good.PNG

But this is how first fitting has to be.

Bad.PNG

I have to skip first connection point because otherwise path becames like this

badly.PNG

And I'm not even able to populate route. And this thing is actually pretty bad. I'm sure all the vectors are directed upwards.

1. So how to fix it?

2. How can I make hose length to remain the same while one of fittings is moving in one axis?

Message 6 of 14
cbenner

Ok,... not sure how you routed this with "skipping" the first connection?  Can you post your assembly here (use pack n go to get all components as well, then zip up).

Message 7 of 14
MatixYo

Message 8 of 14
cbenner

Still looking at it, but at first glance I noticed that you have overlapping segments at both ends of your route.  These will prevent you from populating since they will violate the rules for bend radius...

over1.PNG

over2.PNG

I'll keep looking and get back with more.....

Message 9 of 14
cbenner

Ok,... further inspection shows that your fittings are not authored as Tube & Pipe fittings, so there was no real connection information for T&P to use.  I Authored them, replaced them and piced a route that was simply form Point 1 to Point 2 and populated.  Other than the fact that my hose diameter is too large, it worked just fine.  I don't work with hose, normally only rigid pipe, so I am not sure how to control the length of the hose except as a resultant of your fitting locatio and the rules established in your Tube & Pipe style for the hose itself.

I have to ask, have you run through any of the tutorials for Tube & Pipe?

hose.PNG

Message 10 of 14
MatixYo

I've watched a few tutorials about Tube & Pipe. But any of them was about authoring fittings. Could you post authored part here?

Message 11 of 14
cbenner

I could, but I would rather show you how it is done so you can author all of your fittings in the future, and publish to the Content Center if you want.  "Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime....".  I will answer any questions that I can to help you get going, but learning how to do this, I think, is the best way to help you succeed.

Tube & Pipe Help for IV 2015

Author & Publish Fittings

Route Help

Message 12 of 14
MatixYo

My first problem is how to connect points. It only makes me able to connect one point so when I attach hose to it, it starts bending inside fitting. It would be really good to see yours Tube & Pipe Authoring window screenshot with filled inputs. I'm also wondering how to author fitting that is assembly (contains of two parts).

Message 13 of 14
cbenner

Assemblies cannot be authored as fittings.  They need to be derived into a part first, and then authored.  In the authoring process you will specify an axis direction which tells T&P which direction to route from that point.

Here is a screen shot from the class I will be teaching at AU2014 in Vegas....

Auth02.PNG

I strongly recommend reading through those help files, and practicing on a few parts that do not matter until you are comfortable with the methods.

Message 14 of 14
lesmfunk

BTW, I have been routing hundreds of flexible hoses over the past few months, and there is no real need to author the fittings. You just have to know which direction to point your route. A little tricky, but the arrow should point to the side that you want to create the next hose "segment". So, when you select your very first route point, the arrow should point the direction you want to go. BUT FOR ALL REMAINING POINTS, the arrow should point AGAINST the direction you want to proceed with your route . You don't want to create hose on the opposite side of the point you are currently selecting, or the route will come around the back side as Chris detected from your file.

Authoring fittings in Inventor is quite simple, but trying to create content libraries of all the different combinations of hose end configurations is an enormous task. Unfortunately, there is no standard geometry for hose ends. Each manufacturer is different and none of them provide proper CAD models for their complete product line of hose ends. Parker is the best, but even they do not have all their CAD models available. And, we don't use Parker hose ends anyway.

Edit: Here is how you do it. Don't know how (or why) one would author this port on a radiator.

First Point

1STPOINT.jpg

Second and Remaining Points Against the "Flow"

REMAINING POINTS.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report