Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't move unconstrained parts within an assembly

55 REPLIES 55
SOLVED
Message 1 of 56
ben_walker5
46934 Views, 55 Replies

Can't move unconstrained parts within an assembly

Hi, I have been building an assembly and suddenly I am unable to move parts according to their constraints. I can move them as soon as they are placed but as soon as I add one constraint it's as if they are glued in place. For example, when I line up two holes I can no longer rotate one part around the grounded component.

Have a turned off some functionality of the program?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Ben

55 REPLIES 55
Message 41 of 56
princeofpersia61
in reply to: rjezuit

Sometimes that the "Free Rotate (G)" command is stuck at some point and froze the assembly.. try free rotating another object to set the assembly free .. it happens me a lot

Message 42 of 56
CGBenner
in reply to: princeofpersia61

@princeofpersia61 

Hello and welcome to the forums family!

Thank you for your response and helpful advice.  Please be aware that this thread is 8 years old, and it is likely that many of the participants are no longer active on these forums.  

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 43 of 56

Still a problem in 2020.

Message 44 of 56

@jesse.aumond-beaupre wrote:

Still a problem in 2020.

Can you Attach an assembly here that exhibits this behavior?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 45 of 56

Hi Jesse,

A few reasons I can think of to explain the behavior. 1) The part may provide the direction to define a component pattern. 2) The part is adaptive. 3) The part has tangent constraint. Please activate Master LOD and use Rebuild All to see if it frees up. Like JD mentioned here, please share the files. Forum experts can help take a look.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 46 of 56

I have exactly the same problem. I have an assembly with 30 adaptive parts (building a rollercoaster with a lot of splines) But nothing moves anymore everything seems glued in place 😞

Message 47 of 56

I usually have this when I have a red cross, meaning something is wrong with some constrains. If I resolve that issue, mostly I can constrain normally again.

Inventor 2024, Autocad Plant 3D 2024, Vault Professional 2024
Message 48 of 56
johnsonshiue
in reply to: ben_walker5

Hi Jacob,

Another possibility is lack of a grounded part. Please make sure a logical component (stationary) is grounded.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 49 of 56
carlos9268
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Autodesk Inventor 2023 has an issue where full assemblies doesn't allow for parts to move at all. Parts are constrain properly with one being grounded. Small parts is fine and doesn't have the issue but when doing large assemblies (talking about size and number) it doesn't allow for smaller parts to be move freely with constraint. This makes the assembly process impossible for creating constraints on radius faces or trying to adjust it manually to reduce time on assembly. The type of assemblies would usually take 1 hour max and by the looks it, this version of Inventor will force me to make it in 3 hours. 

Message 50 of 56
johnsonshiue
in reply to: carlos9268

Hi Carlos,

If I understand your issue correctly, it is the notorious lockup assembly behavior due to a bug in 2023. It has been fixed on 2023.0.1. Please install it and report back your findings.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 51 of 56
Campereve
in reply to: ben_walker5

I have the same problem after install of Inventor 2023. This is really annoying.

Assembly is ok, no bad constrains. I always was able to pull a part away from an assembly clicking on it with my mouse and dragging it away. Must have something to do with recent update do 2023.

Message 52 of 56
JDMather
in reply to: Campereve

@Campereve 

Can you Attach an assembly here that exhibits this behavior?

Is this behavior observed in all assemblies or just one particular assembly?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 53 of 56
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Campereve

Hi Paul,

Have you installed 2023.0.1 or 2023.1? Does it help? If not, I will need to see the files or a video showing the behavior.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 54 of 56
rrkazman
in reply to: johnsonshiue

The issue that I found was that a sub assembly had a slight change in orientation 0.02 degrees of error, because it was inserted into a zero clearance constraint the entire 200 element assembly froze. To repair the issue I had to walk all of the assemblies backwards until I found the one issue. Then rebuild the constraints to allow the motion I wanted. I did not have to remove all of the assembly constraints just those associated with the motion. The error that caused the freeze did not show in the main composite assembly, it only showed up when opening and examining the sub assembly.

Message 55 of 56
PMeierENG
in reply to: r_blackburn3000

@r_blackburn3000 I have had this issue on and off over the years occasionally. I recall I found a way to remedy it but memory failed me as to how. I went through a rather long assembly browser and tried all of the above mentioned. Nothing seemed to work. I found one set of flange bolts that I had patterned. As soon as I deleted it everything freed up again. Thanks a bunch. Now I must jot that down somewhere.....
Message 56 of 56
sjkennedy2
in reply to: rjezuit

i grounded the part that the bearing was going into which solved the problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report