Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't modify library?!?!?

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
1170 Views, 16 Replies

Can't modify library?!?!?

This program continues to surprise me, negatively. I did not want to modify any thing, but to import/place a part into assembly and gives me this picture. why is so important to not modify library????

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
ampster401
in reply to: Anonymous

been that way from day #1, you cannot edit a library part.  This surprised you?

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: ampster401

You don't understand me. I don't need to edit library part. I try to import something downloaded from internet and give this massage. 

Message 4 of 17
jletcher

a.tefov

The reason library parts are not to be modified is because if you have this part in 200 assemblies and some one decides to change it for his assembly it would destroy the other 200 assemblies.

Now to find out the issue you are having when placing the library part it tells you this now that is strange.

Can you post a close up picture of this part.

What release are you on?

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: jletcher

this is what I want to import. I'm working on Inventor 2012 pro

Message 6 of 17
jletcher

Just seen you are on 2012 in your picture can you post the part?

Message 7 of 17
jletcher

Is the part in the library already or are you trying to import it from a step or something?

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

OK. Let's start from beginning. I was working on the project and it was going alright a quite of time. I was importing part and assemblies without any obstacles. Last night something gone wrong. Inventor not allow me to import nothing and gives me that library error.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous

here is a new picture 

Message 10 of 17
jletcher

The part is not the issue now that I went and zoomed up to the error.

Are you using Vault?

The error is saying the assembly you are in is a library part but the not checked out by you acts as if you are using Vault.

If you are not using Vault that can be an issue by itself.

Did you change anything in the project file? Or what was the last thing you did before it stopped working?

Message 11 of 17
jletcher

Dam need to wake up

You are not using Vault or it would have a path to it sorry for that dumb question..

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

I dont even know what is Vault. Never used. dont remeber what was the last thing, but seconds before mistake, it was working very ok. Does gonna help do UNDO few steps?

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

I forgot. I've closed already, so cant undo nothing

Message 14 of 17
jletcher

Yeah have you looked into a restore from the revision folder?

Can you expane your project so I can see it? Like this.

project.JPG

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

OK, I found solution. I've just remove library path from the project. tnx anyway 🙂

Message 16 of 17
jletcher

Yeah that is why I asked for a view of your paths...

Message 17 of 17
SER4

This is an unfortunate solution.

There needs to be an "Accept" button instead of just "Cancel" or "OK".

The reason is because I actually don't even want to modify/edit the library file...I just happen to be doing a totally different operation (whether placing component, dimension, etc.)

There already is an "Accept" button for similar operations (e.g. I think if there are conflicting constraints, you can still Accept it and move on and fix whatever else later).

Dell Precision 5680 Laptop; Win11 Pro; 64GB RAM; i9-13900H CPU; Intel Iris Xe Graphics, NVIDIA RTX 3500 Ada Laptop GPU.
Vault Pro 2023.4.1 (28.4.20.0); Inventor Pro 2023.4.1 (418).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report