Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't add tangent dimension to fillet feature in drawing

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
2730 Views, 2 Replies

Can't add tangent dimension to fillet feature in drawing

I am having a hell of a time creating drawing dimensions to tangents on a curve: I have made a model of a key shape, exactly like on a typical computer keyboard. Notice that the bottom of a key is flat, but the top of a key is filleted all around, with the 4 corners being the highest point on the key, and the center of the key being the lowest point on the top surface. In a side-view drawing of the part I want to create a dimension from the bottom of the key to the highest point on the key. This would be the top quadrant of the fillet. However, it appears to be impossible to select this tangency point. I am only able to select the endpoints of the fillet curve, where it is tangent to the side or top surfaces of the key. Has anyone else seen this behavior? Is there an known issue with creating tangent dimensions to fillet features??? I *have* been able to dimension from the bottom of the key to the lowest point on the top of the key surface. I select the bottom straight edge first, then move the mouse to the bottom of the curve until a small yellow circle appears, and near that circle appears a "tangency" symbol. This valley surface is created by a sweep feature. *However*, I have found that very often when I change the parameters of the model, this dimension in the drawing file gets updated to a new point, usually to the end of an adjacent curve or line. It "looses" the point tangent to the curve that I originally dimensioned to. Very annoying. - Joe
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you tried making a view sketch and projecting the edge. Not sure, you may also have to make a small straight line off it to better grab for dimensioning to. -- Kent Assistant Moderator Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program "Joe Dupre" wrote in message news:401aab75$1_3@newsprd01... > I am having a hell of a time creating drawing dimensions to tangents on a > curve: > > I have made a model of a key shape, exactly like on a typical computer > keyboard. Notice that the bottom of a key is flat, but the top of a key is > filleted all around, with the 4 corners being the highest point on the key, > and the center of the key being the lowest point on the top surface. > > In a side-view drawing of the part I want to create a dimension from the > bottom of the key to the highest point on the key. This would be the top > quadrant of the fillet. However, it appears to be impossible to select this > tangency point. I am only able to select the endpoints of the fillet curve, > where it is tangent to the side or top surfaces of the key. > > Has anyone else seen this behavior? Is there an known issue with creating > tangent dimensions to fillet features??? > > I *have* been able to dimension from the bottom of the key to the lowest > point on the top of the key surface. I select the bottom straight edge > first, then move the mouse to the bottom of the curve until a small yellow > circle appears, and near that circle appears a "tangency" symbol. This > valley surface is created by a sweep feature. *However*, I have found that > very often when I change the parameters of the model, this dimension in the > drawing file gets updated to a new point, usually to the end of an adjacent > curve or line. It "looses" the point tangent to the curve that I originally > dimensioned to. Very annoying. > > - Joe > >
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, I did try projecting the edges in a sketch. On some views I am able to project the fillet edge, sometimes not. But even when I can project the edge, I am unable to create tangent constraints to that edge - Inventor just ignores the attempt. I have uploaded the part and drawing files to the CF section with subject "Dimensions to fillet features problem". - Joe "Kent Keller" wrote in message news:401ab510$1_1@newsprd01... > Have you tried making a view sketch and projecting the edge. Not sure, you may also have > to make a small straight line off it to better grab for dimensioning to. > > -- > Kent > Assistant Moderator > Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program > > > "Joe Dupre" wrote in message > news:401aab75$1_3@newsprd01... > > I am having a hell of a time creating drawing dimensions to tangents on a > > curve: > > > > I have made a model of a key shape, exactly like on a typical computer > > keyboard. Notice that the bottom of a key is flat, but the top of a key is > > filleted all around, with the 4 corners being the highest point on the key, > > and the center of the key being the lowest point on the top surface. > > > > In a side-view drawing of the part I want to create a dimension from the > > bottom of the key to the highest point on the key. This would be the top > > quadrant of the fillet. However, it appears to be impossible to select this > > tangency point. I am only able to select the endpoints of the fillet curve, > > where it is tangent to the side or top surfaces of the key. > > > > Has anyone else seen this behavior? Is there an known issue with creating > > tangent dimensions to fillet features??? > > > > I *have* been able to dimension from the bottom of the key to the lowest > > point on the top of the key surface. I select the bottom straight edge > > first, then move the mouse to the bottom of the curve until a small yellow > > circle appears, and near that circle appears a "tangency" symbol. This > > valley surface is created by a sweep feature. *However*, I have found that > > very often when I change the parameters of the model, this dimension in the > > drawing file gets updated to a new point, usually to the end of an adjacent > > curve or line. It "looses" the point tangent to the curve that I originally > > dimensioned to. Very annoying. > > > > - Joe > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report