Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can numeric parameter be formatted in an Inventor Drawing text box?

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
s.mutschler
2164 Views, 15 Replies

Can numeric parameter be formatted in an Inventor Drawing text box?

In an Inventor Drawing (.idw), dimensions are formatted (i.e., as decimal or fractional) based on the style selected for the dimension annotation.  You can also force stacked-fraction formatting of specific numeric text within a text box.

However, text boxes don't seem to offer much control over retreived parameters.  When you insert a value from the parameter table into your text box or leader text, the retrieved parameter always gets pulled in as a decimal number regardless of how it was formatted in the part's parameters table.   

Are there any formatting functions that can be used within a text box or leader text to force fractional formatting for a retrieved parameter embedded within that text?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
mflayler2
in reply to: s.mutschler

In the model the parameter is being retrieved from...

Go to the Parameters Dialog

Mark the Parameter for Export

Right click on the Parameter and choose Custom Parameter Format

Make your adjustments

This creates a Custom iProperty for that parameter.

In your drawing, in the text box...use the Custom iProperty instead of the Parameter value.  It will still update the same way as the parameter would.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 16
s.mutschler
in reply to: mflayler2

Thank you!  Nice trick!

However, I may have immediately discovered a programming oversight:

The "Custom Properties - Model" option only appears in the drop-down list in the dialog window for a Text Box.  That item does not appear in the list for the same drop-down in the "Leader Text" dialog window.  I can see no reason why the two dialogs should not offer the same list of parameter fetching options.  Both types of annotations really are just "text" boxes.

Is this intentional behavior?

Message 4 of 16
mflayler2

I am able to place these (Custom iProperties - Model) in the drawing with Leader Text.

Inventor 2012 SP1

Make sure your referenced model in the drawing is the same as the one you modified and added the export.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 5 of 16
s.mutschler

Stop that post.  I stand corrected.

The option appears in the Leader dialog, but only if the leader is associated with a View containing the relevant part (containing the iProperty).  Actually, only if the leader is "attached" to an element within the part drawing.

When I create a leader elsewhere in the drawing (free hanging as it were), I guess the program does not know what file to retrieve iProperties from.  Correct?

Message 6 of 16
mflayler2

FYI: If you are not attaching to a model, then you wil not see the Leader Text.  So if you start Leader in the middle of the paper not attached to anything you will not see Custom iProperties-Model

Message 7 of 16
s.mutschler

Thank you again.

Message 8 of 16
deondres034

Is there a way to pull these properties into a dimension?

Message 9 of 16

Hi deondres034,
Can you clarify what you're wanting to do?

I suspect the question you asked, might not give us enough information to fully answer your overall question.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 10 of 16

Instead of using leader text and text boxes I'd like to pull those custom parameters into an actual dimension. For an example I dimensioned a hole size for an anchor bolt size in a base plate view. I want to tell it to use the actual anchor bolt diameter parameter set up inside my model so I won't have to go in the dimension and physically change it for every piece. Problem is that the type and property boxes are grayed. By doing this there will be less chance for human error when making corrections.

Message 11 of 16

Hi deondres034,

I think what you're after can be done by using the Component dropdown box as shown:

Autodesk Inventor Parameter in Dimension.png

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 12 of 16

The problem with doing it that way is that the parameters always come out in decimal form rather than fraction.

Message 13 of 16
cadman777

Does anybody know if this got an answer somewhere else?

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
Message 14 of 16
johnsonshiue
in reply to: cadman777

Hi Chris,

The formatting can be done at the parameter level, not at the drawing level. Drawing just display the value based on the styles and standard.

To change the exported parameter formatting, go to the Parameters table in the part -> find the exported parameter -> click click on the Equation cell -> click on the right-pointing arrow -> Custom Property Format. Then the parameter value will be shown in Custom iProperty based on the format options.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 16
cadman777
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue,

Thanx, but I already tried that before coming in here and asking.

I'm trying to automate as much as possible all dimensions and notes on the drawing so when anything changes (such as # of arrayed items, bolt sizes when no bolt is placed, etc.) it automatically updates. I don't want to use iLogic if possible.

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 16 of 16
cadman777
in reply to: cadman777

Does anyone know a way to format Parameters in the DimensionText DB and in the TextEditor DB?

Does anyone do this on their Inventor drawings, or want to do it?

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report