Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not convert an IDW file to an AutoCAD DWG

44 REPLIES 44
SOLVED
Message 1 of 45
MicahelASC
5214 Views, 44 Replies

Can not convert an IDW file to an AutoCAD DWG

I have some Inventor drawing files that a client wants in an AutoCAD 2007 format.  Ever time I try to convert the .idw to an autocad .dwg I get this message, "Problems encountered while saving the document."  So far this is what I've tried:

1. Save copy as -> Save as type: AutoCAD DWG files (*.dwg) -> error message

2. Export to DWG -> Save as type: AutoCAD DWG files (*.dwg) -> error message

I am able to save as an Inventor DWG but I need it as an AutoCAD DWG... I think.  I read somewhere that Autocad 2007 won't read the DWG unless its in an AutoCAD DWG format.

I am running Inventor 2014 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Thanks Mike

44 REPLIES 44
Message 21 of 45
MicahelASC
in reply to: Jonka45

I am able to "export face as", select AutoCAD DWG, and click on the options button but thats it. When I click options nothing happens.
Message 22 of 45
jddickson
in reply to: MicahelASC

If you need to get your information to a customer fast you can save copy as a “DXF”. This will at least make it a format that AutoCAD can work with. I know it’s not a fix but it might get you thru the day… I hope this helps.

Message 23 of 45
jddickson

Do you have AutoCAD on your computer? 

If you do then save as "DXF" and than open in AutoCAD and save as 2007 "DWG"

I know that it's a work around but Hope this Helps.

Message 24 of 45
tom.dedrick
in reply to: jddickson

We are having the same problem. Has a solution been posted?

We rolled out new workstations yesterday running Windows 8.1 and Inventor 2014 and this problem is happening on several workstations. We have installed SP1, Update 1 and Update 2.

Attached is a screen snip of the error message.

Before rolling out the new workstations I tested Inventor on a laptop running Win 8.1 and I am able to save as an autocad dwg on the laptop, so there must be something wrong with the install on the new workstations.

TomD

Message 25 of 45
MicahelASC
in reply to: tom.dedrick

Yup same error message I get and so far I have yet to find a solution. I thought it might be an install problem as well but a few weeks ago I tried re-installing and still got the same error message. I'm still not sure what is causing this issue
Message 26 of 45
mpatchus

As blair stated previsouly, make sure your translator is loaded.

Tools>Add-Ins

translator.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 27 of 45
MicahelASC

*Note: I did a repair/reinstall. Maybe I need to do a full uninstall and then a full install.
Message 28 of 45
MicahelASC
in reply to: mpatchus

It appears to be loaded

Message 29 of 45
tom.dedrick
in reply to: mpatchus

Mike,

My Translator:DWG Load Behavior is set to Automatic/On Demand.

Clicking the box next to Loaded/Unloaded in the Load Behavior portion of the dialog box changes the value above to Automatic/Loaded and I am still not able to save as an AutoCAD dwg.

When I return to the Add-In Manager dialog box the Translator:DWG is back to Automatic/On Demand. It appears the loaded setting is not sticking.

TomD

Message 30 of 45
tom.dedrick

I just checked on the laptop where we can save an .idw as an AutoCAD .dwg and the Translator: DWG is set to Automatic/On Demand.

Where did the smiley faces come from in my previous post?

TomD

Message 31 of 45
blair

Make sure you are current on all SP's and Hot-Fixes for your product. Don't rely on the automatic notification in Inventor. Also try logging in as a different user, preferable one with Admin Privileges.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 32 of 45
tom.dedrick
in reply to: blair

Thanks Blair, but the problem remains.

We have installed SP1, Update 1 and Update 2. I am not aware of any newer updates.

Logging on with an user with administrative privledges did not solve the problem either.

TomD

Message 33 of 45
blair

You are using the Export function and not the Save-As. Very strange indeed. Did this just start or the problem has existed from the first installation of this version of Inventor.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 34 of 45
MicahelASC

Tom,

If you go in to a drawing file and then click the "Manage" tab and then click "Add Rule" and then "Ok", do you get an error message that won't go away and the only way to get out of it is by closing Inventor (ctrl+alt+del -> end task)?

I do but I have no clue what that means...anyone got ideas?

Message 35 of 45
tom.dedrick

I am actually using save copy as. However I get to the same Save As dialog box if I select Export to DWG.

The problem is only on the 6 new workstations we rolled out yesterday. The problem does not exist on laptop where I first installed Inventor 2014 on a Windows 8.1 system.

Message 36 of 45
tom.dedrick

I am able to add an iLogic rule without error in an idw.

Message 37 of 45
blair

Possibly try re-registering Inventor: . Register Inventor: 1) Press [Windows] key to open Windows' start page 2) Type "cmd" to find "Command Prompt" > right mouse click on it > select "Run as administrator" 3) On "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type cd "c:\program files\autodesk\Inventor 2014\bin" > Enter 4) Type inventor /install > Enter 5) Wait for 1 min (inventor will be executed background then exit silently)

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 38 of 45
tom.dedrick

That fixed the problem on my workstation!!! I am off to try it on another.

Thank You!!!

Message 39 of 45
ncote

Worked to fix export problem from inventor 2015 to autocad 2015.
Thanks !
Message 40 of 45
huayu318

I still have this issure. who can find out the right answer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums