Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Leader Text or Balloon Display Part Description?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
SteveFrey
2430 Views, 11 Replies

Can Leader Text or Balloon Display Part Description?

I typically don't use a parts list in my drawings but I do frequently need to call out several parts quickly by their part description.  Is there a way to do this in IV2012?  If so, is there a way to make this a permanent setting for my drawings?

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
HP ZBook 17 G6
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 80 GB
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Wireless
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Hi SteveFrey, 

You can set up your own balloon style to do this, and then save it in your template or your Styles Library.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Description Balloon Autodesk Inventor.png

Message 3 of 12

Thanks Curtis.  So I set up the new style as shown but when I try and add a balloon there's an arrow but no text.  Why do you think this is happening?

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 4 of 12
jeanchile
in reply to: SteveFrey

This may be totally stupid, but I'm going to ask it.... Is there a value in the "Description" iProperty for all your files? That's where the balloon would pull from if you set it up like Curtis showed you.

Inventor Professional
Message 5 of 12
SteveFrey
in reply to: jeanchile

LOL!  There's never a question too stupid.  Actually, in this case, no because I was using parts that I don't normally use.  With this being said, I switched the property from DESCRIPTION to PART NUMBER where there is a value in the iProperties but it still doesn't work. 

At the same time when placing leader text I switched the properties in the dialog box to several different properties and they all worked. See attached.

I tried to edit the balloons without text and nothing happens.  Help.

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 6 of 12
jeanchile

The only other thing I can think of quickly would be to see if what you are ballooning is in a subassembly. There are some parts list settings and BOM settings that can affect the way these balloons turn out. I apologize that I can't be more clear as I am not in front of IV at the moment and I am going from memory.

My point is that it may be possible you are pulling the description field from the sub assembly with each balloon you place instead of the individual parts. There is a way to control this from what I remember.

If this doesn't get you on the right track I'll have to take a look tomorrow (after my morning meeting).

Good Luck!

Inventor Professional
Message 7 of 12

Hi SteveFrey, 

I can't think of any reason for this other than what jeanchili mentioned. If you can post the drawing it might be helpful in determining what is at play here.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 12

I originally tested this from an assembly that was compiled of parts that were created for test purposes.  What I didn't mention is that the assemblies I am using were all created by the frame generator.  It occurred to me last night that there are iProperties for a file but when I publish to the same file content center I enter key information like the file name and description.  I went back to my custom content center files that are used in these assemblies and tested my new balloon style and it works now.  I am going to play around with this but I think (with your much appreciated) guidance I have fixed the problem. 

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 9 of 12

Okay, so after playing around with the "correct" files it now does work. 

So when I publish a shape to the content center for use with the frame generator are the iProperties or the fileds in the Publish Guide being displayed as the PART NUMBER or DESCRIPTION?

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 10 of 12
jeanchile

@SteveFrey wrote:

So when I publish a shape to the content center for use with the frame generator are the iProperties or the fileds in the Publish Guide being displayed as the PART NUMBER or DESCRIPTION?

I'm actually not sure because I haven't created my own frame generator shape before, but what I remember from my training is the publish guide fields populate the family table in CC and the family table populates the iProperties when the file is created. So I think, in essence, the publish guide fields should populate the iProps when the file is created.

Curtis can definitely speak more intelligently here. He literally "wrote the book" on this.

Is this what you were asking?

Inventor Professional
Message 11 of 12
SteveFrey
in reply to: jeanchile

Yes.  I did play around with some of my published frame generator shapes and was able to correct my problem, thanks to the both of you.  After a couple of minor changes everything now works. 

I wish I didn't have to delete a shape, correct it as a part and then re-publish it to the content center. Maybe Autodesk will fix this in an upcoming service pack or hotfix (hint, hint).

I overlooked the frame generator issue because 99% what I do is made by custom frame generator shapes.  Thanks again!

Steve 

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 12 of 12
jeanchile

Have you tried the "replace family template" option for editing your parts? I have used it in the past and it works for some things and not others.

Going from memory here...

1.) Use the Open from Content Center to create a new part from the family you want to edit

2.) Make the changes to the file needed

3.) Save the file somewhere you can reference it later

4.) Navigate to the family in the CC editor

5.) Right click the family and choose "replace family template"

6.) Navigate to the file and select it

This should take any changes from the content center part you created in the first steps and update the family with those changes. I have had varying degrees of success with this function but it usually works. You might try that next time if you haven't.

Good luck.

Inventor Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report