Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Inventor Studio render the edges of parts?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
zma1013
3921 Views, 21 Replies

Can Inventor Studio render the edges of parts?

You know how in the Application Options setting you can change it so that all the edges of your part or parts are outlined with a black line. My question is, is there any way to render this with the black lines showing?

I know they show up if you use the illustration render option, but there's some kinda of weird glitch where it draws extra lines in wherever there is a row of holes, and it looks really stupid.

Anyway to fix this or render with realistic mode and have the edge lines show up? Otherwise if you try to render 2 flat parts made of the same material together, they blend in together and look like one solid part.
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
zma1013
in reply to: zma1013

Here's an example of a realistic rendering. Some parts blend in and actually make it look like 1 solid piece.
Message 3 of 22
zma1013

Here is an example of an Illustrated render. Notice all the messy lines it produces between the holes?
Message 4 of 22
mcgyvr

Try turning off "show outline edges" and see if that makes your illustration better.

Its in the styles tab of the render image dialog

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 22
Anonymous

You may want to play with the Thickness slider within the "Styles" tab after
selecting the "Illistration" for Render Type. Having a low setting of "1"
should eliminate the additional sketch lines on the faces while preserving
the edges.

--
Dell 670 dual Xeon - 3.2
3gb memory, SCSI320-15k
XP-Pro, sp2
Quadro FX3400: Driver: 169.96 Direct3D
IV2009-Pro
SpacePilot Rel V: 3.6.7 Dvr V: 6.6.1 Firmware 3.12

wrote in message news:5989711@discussion.autodesk.com...
Try turning off "show outline edges" and see if that makes your illustration
better.

Its in the styles tab of the render image dialog
Message 6 of 22
zma1013

Nope doesn't work,all that does it make the parts look blended together again, and it still has the weird lines between the holes.
Message 7 of 22
zma1013

It won't let me go qny lower than .95 with the line thickness, and the other lines still show up.
Message 8 of 22
mcgyvr

Then nothing you can do besides clean up those lines in a photo editing program after the render.

Playing with different lighting will help to differentiate between to same color parts though. Have you tried the more realistic lighting setup posted by Bill Bogan (from autodesk)

-Most realistic output-
Create new light style
Delete all lights
General tab settings
Brightness=80
Enable Sky light
Intensity=90

Indirect tab settings
Ambience=40
Bounced light quality=medium

Shadows tab settings
Turn ON soft shadows
Highest quality
Density=80

Render command
High antialiasing
True reflections=ON

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 9 of 22
mcgyvr

I did complain about those silly lines before and got the typical "thats life" answer

Message 10 of 22
zma1013

Bill Bogan's lighting is just the same thing as Global Lighting, which is already in Inventor.
Message 11 of 22
mcgyvr

I didn't even notice they added his style into Inv.
When he posted that I created my own style based off it and never looked back

Message 12 of 22
pkquat

If you don't need to go crazy with the shaded output, you could try a straight BMP export from IV (not Studio). With IV11 I had to play with the lighting settings a good deal to get edges to appear more distinguished. I also found out the color properties in IV had a GREAT deal of input on the rendered image, but I was not about to redefine the color properties of 200+ parts.

I think there may be a way to also adjust the color properties or mapping in studio. That may might work in your case since it appears the bulk of the part (assembly) is one color.

Pete
Message 13 of 22
Josh_Petitt

uncheck "Show Interior Edges", this might help w/ weird lines

also, if you have an image editor that supports alpha channel (something better than paint, GIMP would work). Render in illustration mode, no fill color, save as .png. Under options, use alpha channel. This should make an image w/ transparent background and white color fill. Now open then image in your editor and turn all the white into alpha channel. Now render your image again using realistic rendering. Then overlay the transparent image on the realistic image.
Message 14 of 22
zma1013

Is there anyway to do a sort of "screen capture" to make a picture? It looks perfect that way my computer is actually showing it on-screen in the working environment, however it looks like crap when actually using Inventor studio to render.

Kinda funny that way eh?
Message 15 of 22
Josh_Petitt

save copy as .png
Message 16 of 22
zma1013

Well that helps Josh, but I actually saw that if you click "Save Copy As..." It lets you save it in whatever format you want. So I just saved it as JPEG and it looks perfect. Well that was so simple, I'm surprised nobody said anything about it earlier. Message was edited by: zma1013
Message 17 of 22
mcgyvr

We assumed you already knew about save copy as and needed a better image than standard screen display.

Message 18 of 22
Josh_Petitt

>needed a better image than standard screen display.

yes, and w/ jpg you will see some artifacting around your edges. PNG is a "sharper" image. Also, I think you are limited to 96dpi using "Save Copy As".
Message 19 of 22
zma1013

Well, I have a 24" 1920x1200 res monitor, so monitor image looks oh so good. Thanks for the help guys.
Message 20 of 22
robmatthews

You know that you can also hit PrintScreen or Ctrl-PrintScreen to save the display or active window respectively to the clipboard, then start your graphics programs, and paste as new image?
=============================================
This is my signature, not part of my post.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report