Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Inventor FEA run in background?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
hbelch
1177 Views, 8 Replies

Can Inventor FEA run in background?

Good Afternoon,

I have noticed that while running an Inventor FEA simulation, if I switch the active window to a different assembly and start to do some work, the wizstress.exe process disappears from task manager list with no results...

Is it possible to run it in the background while working on other parts or assemblies?

Can I submit a batch job outside Inventor 2011?

(Also, it would be nice if it used multiple processors to obtain a solution faster for large assemblies with various contact conditions.)

Thanks,

H

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Paul.Normand
in reply to: hbelch

You might want to check out Project Centaur on labs. Cloud computing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VymftwFsHWU

Regards,

Paul Normand

Paul Normand
Principal Content Developer/SME
Design Lifecycle and Simulation (DLS)
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 9
henderh

Hi H,

Stress Analysis is designed to allow working with other documents during a solve.

Do you notice that Wizstress stops working as soon as you switch to a different window?  The solver window should always stay up when switching to a different document, as long as the solving process is occuring.

What I'm seeing is that the solution finishes, but the browser doesn't update automatically.  i.e. there appears to be no results, but if you move the cursor into the browser pane the results appear.  The result is not activated automatically, so you may not see any stress contours in the graphics window until you activate one.

Thanks, -Hugh

[Edit: I've logged the issue about the browser not updating and the result graphics not being activated as 1389212 and sent it on to Development for their investigation.]

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 4 of 9
hbelch
in reply to: henderh

Good Morning,

I will try it this weekend, after this occurring several times, I am a little tenuous of using Inventor while an analysis is running (which is counterproductive). Do they plan on adding heat transfer, buckling and non-linear capabilities in the future? (I currently use ANSYS Multi-Physics and CFX to do more complex analysis, but use Inventor FEA for linear elastic analyses).

Thanks for the input and have a great weekend,

H

Message 5 of 9
henderh

Hi H,

Now I can reproduce the issue.  If we close document "B" while document "A" is solving, the solve aborts.  I wonder if this might be what was causing the problem you were seeing.  I've logged it and sent it on to Development as 1389460.

Thanks for reporting the issue and we apologize for the inconvenience.

-Hugh

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 6 of 9
hbelch

Hugh,

That is exactly what happens, I just tried it as you describe and that is what happens. I try to run large analyses overnight and over the weekend.

Thank you very much & have a great weekend.

H

Message 7 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: Paul.Normand

@Paul.Normand wrote:

You might want to check out Project Centaur on labs. Cloud computing.

Paul Normand

I can't find the download on labs.  Is it still available?  I was really looking forward to having my students use this in our FEA class, but we are just getting to the stage where it would be appropriate.

JD

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 9
jdits7
in reply to: JDMather

Project Centaur ended up getting changed to Inventor Optimization Tech Preview, however that has since ended as of the end of Nov 2010. Here is a link to the post ending it, Inventor Optimization. Usually when they end a Tech Preview it means good things for the next release.

jdits7
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Blog - http://www.inventortopix.com
Twitter - @InventorTopixJD
Message 9 of 9
millie6602

Still seeing this problem with 2014.  The simulation dialogue window disappears when Document B is closed.  Wizstress is still running under processes in the task manager but eventually crashes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report