Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I suppress part of a sketch?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
267 Views, 6 Replies

Can I suppress part of a sketch?

Hello guys, I drew 6 squares and constraintd them with exact dimension, then I extrude them out, which becomes six cubes,  however, I want to eliminate two of the cube now, but when I delete them in the sketch, the whole extrusion disappeared,,, does anybody know how can I only delete two of them? Like suppressing some of the features in a pattern.  Thanks a lot~~

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ampster401
in reply to: Anonymous

you cannot surpress part of a sketch, it's the whole thing or another tactic has to be used.

Either consider patterning the cubes (you can surpress or turn off individual instances in a pattern) or creating individual sketches.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ampster401

Thanks ampster, so you mean I need to redo everything?

Message 4 of 7
stephengibson76

edit extruded feature from model tree, ctrl left click, (un-highlight the square areas you dont want) finish edit

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 5 of 7
blair
in reply to: stephengibson76

As posted, you can use the Ctl^Click to deselect areas. You might consider in the future reducing the size and number of items in your Sketch. You can always use the "Pattern and Array commands to increase the number of instances of the feature.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 7
ampster401

There's always the option of deselecting which ever portion of the sketch you do not want to extrude by editting the feature as others have suggested - instead of redoing everything.

I've done that in the past but never felt comfortable about it afterwards.  I know it's not a big thing, but to me that always looked like someone was producing a sketch of what they weren't sure of in the first place and then decided part way thru to just edit an extruded feature and not change the sketch to what it really ended up being.

Again it's no big thing and you can do that any time with no problems usually.  Maybe I'm just to ana...er, concerned that I want things as clean and tidy as possible for if/when someone comes back into my models/drawing later on down the road and tries to make heads or tails of what my design intent was.

I will admit there are times you could produce a single sketch where portions of it were used in one feature and other portions in another feature.

Good suggestion though and at least it wasn't a "tunnel-vision"ed reply like mine just addressing how you can't surpress part of a sketch.

Message 7 of 7
wimann

I'd suggest sharing the sketch and making multiple extrusions. Then you'd suppress the extrusions as required instead of the sketch. So Extrusion1 creates 4 squares and Extrusion2 creates the remaining 2. When desired, suppress Extrusion2.

From what I'm gathering from your question, that's what I would advise.

Hope this helps.

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report