Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Disable Command Alias Input Dialogs?

34 REPLIES 34
Message 1 of 35
mason52
3662 Views, 34 Replies

Can I Disable Command Alias Input Dialogs?

When I create a rectangular box in Autodesk Inventor 2008, shell it, and create a new sketch on any face and press E I expect to be greeted with the extrusion options. This does not happen, and a command alias input dialog appears in the status bar.

I really want to turn this off, since it has happened on other occasions as well. Since there's no other way to get to the extrusion feature, it completely halts my work.

Usually when I don't know what a feature is for and I'm not attempting to use it I expect to not see it- especially when I perform actions that don't usually bring it up. I'm not sure why the behavior has been put there. Hopefully it's not put into later versions (I've seen 2010 complaints as well) so someday an upgrade will remove the annoyance.

34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: mason52

Hi mason52, 

If you go to Tools > Application Options > General tab, do you see an option called "Show Command alias input dialog" or something similar? If so does unchecking that help?

Also look for an option called "Show command prompting (Dynamic Prompts)".

I can't recall what was in Inventor 2008, but I think these options are there.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 35
FireBallFab
in reply to: mason52

Actually, you're looking for Customize User Commands > Keyboard and then uncheck the box under the list:

Command Alias.png

Message 4 of 35
mcgyvr
in reply to: FireBallFab

@FireBallFab wrote:

Actually, you're looking for Customize User Commands > Keyboard and then uncheck the box under the list:

Command Alias.png

@FireBallFab You are responding to a 6+ year old post.. Smiley Tongue

Watch those dates mang...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 35
FireBallFab
in reply to: mcgyvr

It may be a 6 year old post, but I was plagued with it this month. Because of this 6 year old post, I was able to find the solution this morning, so I posted it!

#keepoldpostsalive    Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 35
JDMather

@mcgyvr wrote:

@FireBallFab wrote:

@FireBallFab You are responding to a 6+ year old post.. Smiley Tongue

Watch those dates mang...

And on top of that - the question was about Inventor 2008 - that is eleven releases ago...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 35
FireBallFab
in reply to: JDMather

Wow, tough crowd. You guys need a different hobby. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 35
jan
Enthusiast
in reply to: FireBallFab

Ye its an old post but this is harassing me right now.

Iv checked all suggestions but it will not go away...

Message 9 of 35
mcgyvr
in reply to: jan

@jan wrote:

Ye its an old post but this is harassing me right now.

Iv checked all suggestions but it will not go away...

@jan  Please post a picture of the problem so we can direct you to the correct option..

If you are positive that you have changed the correct setting then you might want to try the Inventor Reset Utility as you could possibly have a corrupt user profile..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 10 of 35
jan
Enthusiast

Hi.

Thanks for the reply... I did not expect one 🙂

I've checked all 3 checkboxes and it will not go away... None of them where checked.

In this case the most odd thing is that I can NOT save the part as a new part end then replicate it... It HAS to be the original part and it has to be cut view F7 - Se Sketch 6 Rev 4.

It does not help to restart Inventor.

I've had this problem for some time now from time to time in different projects.

I nowadays usually don't report stuff as I'm still at 2019 278

I will NOT run the reset... I don't trust it.

Last I used it none of the problems I had back then went away and things got messed up 🙂

Also I very much like to KNOW beforehand if the User Profile is corrupt... I'm not a fan of fixing stuff that might not be broken 🙂

Best Regards JH

Message 11 of 35
mcgyvr

@jan  I didn't see any images or any other files attached/included in your most recent posting..

Not sure why you didn't expect a reply.. 

It wasn't clear when this post was bumped back up if this was just someone appending more information to an old post or if they just didn't see the dates at all and thought they were replying to the original poster..   Its totally fine to bump up an old post to add more helpful information like they did.. 

Message 12 of 35
johnsonshiue

Hi! Sorry if I repeat myself! The option to suppress the Alias Input dialog is Tools -> App Options -> General -> uncheck "Show command alias input dialog."

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 35
jan
Enthusiast
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hello again 🙂

To be clear in my case.

It is unchecked :-).

As I did reply before it turned up as a mail and all relevant files and some pictures were included. I do not know where they went.

Ill attach some pictures about it all here now.

Sigh I can attach only 3 pictures... So new day today and iv selected it and tried and I get a tiny little dialog box on the screen when pressing R. ok so I unselect it again and we are back to input down left in screen... And now its also this way when NOT cut view.

3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Message 14 of 35
jan
Enthusiast

There... A reply to myself to get that last picture in here.

Result WITH Show command alias input dialog selected.jpg

Message 15 of 35
mcgyvr

@jan 

Jan please sort your Keyboard hotkeys by "Keys" column and scroll down to "R" and show an image like this..

At first glance it looks like you just have duplicate R keys assigned to more than just Revolve.. (But I have no idea what they other poorly formatted dialog box is)

revolveit.PNG

Message 16 of 35
jan
Enthusiast

Looks like this 🙂

Customize R.jpg

Message 17 of 35
mcgyvr

@jan wrote:

Looks like this 🙂

I'm going to throw my hands up in the air and say "Try the Inventor Reset Utility".. Something isn't correct but I have no idea what that may be..

@johnsonshiue  Johnson.. Any assistance you might be able to give? This certainly doesn't seem like a simple "uncheck the command alias" box issue here.. Something is up with their system..

Message 18 of 35
jan
Enthusiast

Yes it’s strange.

I do lots of different projects one after another and at the same time in a steady stream and mostly both R and E from a sketch works just fine but now and again I get into this mess 🙂

Thanks for all help thus far… I am going to contemplate on this se what I come up with and / or do next.

Message 19 of 35
johnsonshiue

Hi Jan,

Based on the 3rd image you attached on post#13, you don't want to see the message at the lower left corner. Is it true? If yes, there is no control to suppress it. It is like the status message showing users what Inventor is doing. When you type in keys which are not recognized as system shortcut keys, the status message will show that assuming it is a command alias.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 20 of 35
jan
Enthusiast
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi. Hmmm.

Actually, I don’t mind that message. I mind the reason that it turns up.

As mentioned before and to clarify. I get this problem when in a sketch from time to time and when it happened then it’s that specific sketch in that specific .ipt that is effected.

If I save that same .ipt as a new one the problem goes away J

If I restart my computer and open that same file with the problem then it’s still there.

It’s like some other stuff. For instance it sometimes happens that I’m in a .iam and I can not via D-klick or via right klick get into edit mode of an .ipt but in this case I can restart Inventor and problem is solved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report