Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Cam and valve inventor studio simulation

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
lis_wang
972 Views, 24 Replies

Cam and valve inventor studio simulation

I want to use Inventor studio to create the cam valve simulation (not dynamic simulation). I create a adaptive spring and then used contact set and tangent cnstrain method. But both method fail. I attached file here. Please help me to create simulation using studio. Thanks

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
lis_wang
in reply to: johnsonshiue

The cam profile is reproduced from a 4 stroke engine's cam shaft. I am not very sure if it is a straight line but it looks like a straight line so I just model it as a straight line. If you said the reason is because of no enough contact area. Please look at the file attached here. The contact area is bigger enough to make sure to keep cam and follower contacting.

Message 22 of 25
JDMather
in reply to: lis_wang

I would put a dial indicator on the cam and rotate it recording readings to reverse engineer.

Measure the diameter of the shaft.

Create a paper tape the length of the circumference with 360Ā° (or a more manageable number like 120 divisions) across the

length.

Wrap and tape around the shaft.

Have one student turn the shaft by increments while another records the dial indicator readings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 23 of 25
lis_wang
in reply to: JDMather

Could you please attach the file here? I do not understand what did you mean.

Message 24 of 25
JDMather
in reply to: lis_wang

A straight edge against the cam shows a slight curvature where it appeared by eye to be a straight line.

Straight Edge.png

It turns out the paper tape with divisions wasn't needed since the gear teeth could be used.

I didn't have any v-blocks handy, so we set up in the crankcase housing.

Indexing.png

Then recorded displacement readings ever turn of a tooth against our index mark.

Students.png

Next week I will post our analysis results.

Readings.jpg

After generating a displacement chart we designed a cam.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 25 of 25
lis_wang
in reply to: JDMather

Mine is similar to yours. Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report