Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cam and cam follower constranit

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
arman.tale
4536 Views, 13 Replies

cam and cam follower constranit

Hello,

I am making a 4 cylinder engine assembly and i am having difficulty for constraining cam with the cam follower. when i use transitional constraint, by rotating the cam shaft, the follower goes inside the cam and by using any other constraint it does not simply work. the attachment is the photo of the cam shaft and the followers in the assembly. I appreciate if someone can give me a solution to this annoying problem.

Regards

Arman

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: arman.tale

Can you attach your assembly here?

What version of Inventor are you using?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! Cam and follower constraint in Inventor is fulfilled by Transitional constraint. If I were you, I would create a zero offset surface (Thicken -> Surface -> offset = 0) on the Cam faces and extend it on the sides. Next, create Transitional constraint between the follower (moving face)  and the Cam zero offset face (transition face). After the relationship is established, you can hide the zero offset surfaces.

If you post the assembly here, I can help take a look and comment specifically.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 14
arman.tale
in reply to: JDMather

hello,

I appreciate your help. the attachment is the assembly file. please check if you can access it or not!

Regards

Message 5 of 14
arman.tale

please ignore the above reply. i do not know how to send the assembly because they all related to the part and the project, and i cant send the pack n go because of the size. please find the attachments which are the cam shaft and cam follower part. can you figure out how to constraint them. BTW I use version 2014.

Message 6 of 14
arman.tale
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Dear Johnson,

thanks for your reply. i still dont understand. i dont know how to send the assembly here but i attached cam shaft and cam follower parts. i appreciate if you can take a look at them and help me to findout how to constraint them.

Regards

Message 7 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! You did not attach the full dataset with all the referenced ipt and iam files. The best way to upload a dataset is to right-click on an assembly file -> Pack and Go -> point it to a folder. Then zip up the output folder and upload the zip file here. Anyway, I think I know what you are trying to achieve here. Please take a look at the attached image. It explains what I described earlier. Once you are done with a pair of cam and follower, you should be able to do it for other pairs. Take a look and let me know if you have any question. Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi! There was an issue with the thread or something. I was not able to attach a file. The image explaining the solution is attached.

Thanks! Sorry for the confusion!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 14
JDMather

Download the attach *.zip file.

Right click on the attached *.zip file and select Extract All.

Open the assembly file.

In the Relationships folder right click on the Drive This constrant and select Drive.

Click the Play button.

Is this what you are after?  (Have you installed all Service Packs and Updates for your version of Inventor?)

Drive This.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 10 of 14
JDMather

....then check out this example in Environments>Dynamic Simulation.

If you graph the Acceleration curve of one of the Prismatic Joints - I think you can create a better cam using the Cam Generator Design Accelerator within Inventor.

I just noticed that I have a couple of mistakes - but you should be able to figure it out from here.

DS Cam.PNG

Message 11 of 14
admaiora

"

Hi! Cam and follower constraint in Inventor is fulfilled by Transitional constraint. If I were you, I would create a zero offset surface (Thicken -> Surface -> offset = 0) on the Cam faces and extend it on the sides. Next, create Transitional constraint between the follower (moving face)  and the Cam zero offset face (transition face). After the relationship is established, you can hide the zero offset surfaces.

If you post the assembly here, I can help take a look and comment specifically."

Nice tip Jhonson thanks!

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 12 of 14
SER4

@johnsonshiue your comment was a great idea to make an "offset" surface, however, I cannot then select the surface feature as the second transitional selection...it seems like it only wants me to select one face, not a surface.

The tooltips that pop up for Selection #1 is "Moving Face" and for #2 is "Transitional Face"...see also https://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2019/ENU/?guid=GUID-EDE88086-58F3-4F62-A1CC-83CDB035BC27

Does is matter that the part I put the surface offset is a multibody and is also in a subassembly?

Dell Precision 5680 Laptop; Win11 Pro; 64GB RAM; i9-13900H CPU; Intel Iris Xe Graphics, NVIDIA RTX 3500 Ada Laptop GPU.
Vault Pro 2023.4.1 (28.4.20.0); Inventor Pro 2023.4.1 (418).
Message 13 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: SER4

@SER4 Attach your assembly here.

Message 14 of 14
johnsonshiue
in reply to: SER4

Hi! Like JD mentioned here, please share the example files. There could be an issue with the geometry. We can help take a look and propose the good workflow.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report