Inventor General Discussion

Branon
Message 1 of 4 (896 Views)
Accepted Solution

Calculating Mass for various Levels of Detail

896 Views, 3 Replies
11-02-2012 05:25 AM

Hi there,

I have an assembly in which I have created two levels of details (besides Master and the other default levels)

I notice that when updating the mass in iproperties, it is calculating all the components including all suppressed ones, no matter what level of detail is active (i’m assuming its calculating from the master LoD)

Is there a way the mass can be calculated dependant on what LoD is active or selected? It’s mainly for our GA drawings. In the title block we have a field called ‘Mass’ where we import the product mass from iProperties. I don’t want this to show all components in the assembly (ie. I don’t want it to show the suppressed components), but I would like to do is create a separate page, or view, showing all components and the mass.

To make it clearer, the product is a trailer and I want the title block to state the un-laden mass, with a separate view showing the loaded trailer plus its overall mass.

Would appreciate your advice.

Regards,

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for posting this issue!

I believe this workflow should be supported, and with a quick experiment I was able to obtain a Level of Detail-specific mass value in both the Assembly environment and in a drawing title block.

In the Assembly environment, you should be prompted when calculating the mass properties using a non-Master Level of Detail, to ask whether you wish to calculate for the Master or current Level of Detail. If you don't see this prompt, it's possible that it has been suppressed on your machine. You can check this in the Application Options under the 'Prompts' tab: scroll down to the item "Do you want to calculate the Mass Properties for...", and ensure that the 'Prompt' field is set to 'Always'. (When this dialog appears, you will need to press 'No' to return the Level of Detail-specific mass properties.)

In your drawing title block, if you have inserted a Text field that includes the 'MASS' Property from the 'Physical Properties - Model' property Type, its value should update depending on the Level of Detail of the assembly represented in the drawing sheet. Are you using this method to place the mass value in the title block, or are you using a different workflow?

Also, is it possible to let me know which version of Inventor you are using? I am testing this using Inventor 2013, but if you are on an earlier version I will need to verify these steps on this release.

Hope this helps, and if not please let me know more details so that I can try to help you figure this out.

Thanks!

Jake

Employee
jakefowler
Message 2 of 4 (881 Views)

Re: Calculating Mass for various Levels of Detail

11-02-2012 07:52 AM in reply to: Branon

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for posting this issue!

I believe this workflow should be supported, and with a quick experiment I was able to obtain a Level of Detail-specific mass value in both the Assembly environment and in a drawing title block.

In the Assembly environment, you should be prompted when calculating the mass properties using a non-Master Level of Detail, to ask whether you wish to calculate for the Master or current Level of Detail. If you don't see this prompt, it's possible that it has been suppressed on your machine. You can check this in the Application Options under the 'Prompts' tab: scroll down to the item "Do you want to calculate the Mass Properties for...", and ensure that the 'Prompt' field is set to 'Always'. (When this dialog appears, you will need to press 'No' to return the Level of Detail-specific mass properties.)

In your drawing title block, if you have inserted a Text field that includes the 'MASS' Property from the 'Physical Properties - Model' property Type, its value should update depending on the Level of Detail of the assembly represented in the drawing sheet. Are you using this method to place the mass value in the title block, or are you using a different workflow?

Also, is it possible to let me know which version of Inventor you are using? I am testing this using Inventor 2013, but if you are on an earlier version I will need to verify these steps on this release.

Hope this helps, and if not please let me know more details so that I can try to help you figure this out.

Thanks!

Jake

Jake Fowler
UX Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Branon
Message 3 of 4 (822 Views)

11-07-2012 07:09 AM in reply to: jakefowler

Many thanks for this Jake,

You were quite right, this promt had been suppressed, and so upon unsuppressing, I was able to calculate the mass depenant on which LoD was active.

Due to stability issues I was having with Inventor, I did however end up resolving it a different way. I simply did a "save copy as" for the different LoD, and placed that copy on a seperate page in my GA drawing with all the cargo, and simply deleted the cargo from my main GA model.

I am running Inventor 2012 on a 32bit xp workstation. I often run into stability issues particularly creating drawings of fairly complex models (anything over 500 parts). This does sometimes, I feel, prevent me utilizing all the features of inventor. I'm never sure though to class them as software limitations, or hardware limitations........ or just a straight up pain in the backside :smileyhappy:

Never the less your advice has helped and I shall be utilizing this feature of future (less complex) models. 

Kind Regards,

Brendan

Employee
jakefowler
Message 4 of 4 (772 Views)

11-13-2012 09:44 PM in reply to: Branon

Hi Brendan,

Apologies for not replying back to this sooner; I’m very glad to hear that the last post helped to resolve your issue!

Regarding your stability issues with complex models: I think there is a fair possibility that this could be related to using a 32-bit platform. 32-bit applications have a limit on the amount of RAM they can address (technically 4GB, although typically the memory a Windows application can actually make use of will be less that this). When Inventor (or any application) reaches the limit of the available RAM, it will need to start making use of virtual memory, which will certainly result in performance issues and may also be causing some stability problems for you.

For dealing with larger models, it’s recommended to use a 64-bit system with enough RAM to handle the size of your datasets comfortably. You can see the system recommendations for Inventor 2012 here; it might be worth comparing this list with the specifications of your machine to identify possible hardware bottlenecks.

Hope this helps, and many thanks again for taking the time to post here!

Jake

Jake Fowler
UX Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.