Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable and Harness Centerlines not visible (2012)

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
gray.adams
1275 Views, 4 Replies

Cable and Harness Centerlines not visible (2012)

Hi guys. I have an assembly that I want to put some wires in, but every time I create a wire between pins, or a segment, or anything through the Cable and Harness tool, the centerlines don't show up. The rendered wires can appear, but without any sort of way to get at the centerline, I can't set its path or anything like that.

I was wiring up components no problem in a sub assembly, but for some reason it just won't work in my top level assembly. I thought it might be a problem with how I added pins to the components, but even trying to create a wire between 2 connectors from the content center gave the exact same results. Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I don't know the solution to your problem; however, yesterday I was using wire centerlines to add points to them and change the way they route manually (as I'm not able to use the segments for the kinds of discreet wires I'm routing). I got tired of how messed up everything got, so I decided to start over. Blew away that harness assembly, and made a new one.

Today, I'm having the same problem you're having. I can't get the cables to display in centerline mode (they are the same wires, same style, same to-and-from, same orientation as the ones I had yesterday). Not only can I not get them to display the centerlines, I can no longer pick the centerlines to add points to the wires. Not only can I not pick the centerlines to add points to them, if I right-click on the wire in the tree (browser), and say "Add Points," the centerline STILL does not show up.

I WAS JUST DOING ALL OF THIS YESTERDAY.

I didn't run any updates, hotfixes, or anything else like that. I only resterted my computer, and today <poof> it's useless.

Going to restart again to see if I can fix this; if not, I'm dead in the water.

- FYI - I can't run segments because I'd have to define an incredibly complicated set of 3D splines, which would almost be impossible to generate while maintaining a natural fit - not to mention I would then have to load the part I made for the 3D spline into our PLM server as a phantom part, which our people don't want us to do. Using model geometry to offset from wouldn't help either, because these discreet wires are free-floating and there *is* no geometry near them (within 6-11 inches on all sides for clearance purposes).

Message 3 of 5

View tab on ribbon..visibility section..expand the object visibility flyout and check 3d sketches.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 5

Wow...that worked. Thank you!

Message 5 of 5
davide.vettorel
in reply to: mcgyvr

Dear mcgyvr - thank you, it worked!

So long from when you posted it, but still useful today

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report