Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable and Harness BOM

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Kavasek
2079 Views, 7 Replies

Cable and Harness BOM

Hi! I have some questions on an occasion Cable and Harness 

1.How to do so that length of wire in BOM was shown an integer?

2. I need to unite the wires of one brand in one position in BOM

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Kavasek
in reply to: Kavasek

BOM.png

Message 3 of 8
Kelly_Shuman

Bad News: Cable and Harness has no good way of creating BOMS.  Good News: There's a work around that is 80% effective. (Because you have to manually enter in the item number) 

The best way to create a BOM is creating a .cfg file to summate the quantities and information.  Filter for Wire or Wire and Parts (can't do Parts only), Have Part Number be the "quantity by property name" entry on the filter tab.  Create a table with columns for "part number", "adjusted length" (hide this column) and "quantity".  Additionally, you can create a custom property for each part, and call it description.  Add "description" as the last column for a complete BOM.  In the format tab, sort by column 0 (otherwise the order will change later on)  In the drawing, make a table with the .csv file.  Manually enter in Item numbers.  Don't sort the table, and the .csv file will automatically update the table everytime you make a change to the model and create a new report.   

Message 4 of 8
Kelly_Shuman
in reply to: Kelly_Shuman

Another way to combine part numbers in BOM is to set the part number to =<Stock Number> in the Bill of Material Manager.  Only do this for the wires and looms. 

Message 5 of 8
Kavasek

Thank you for your answer.
Message 6 of 8
stefan.posey

1. Is this still the best or only way to do this?

2. Is there a good resource on using the cfg files? 

3. Are the cfg file operations executed only for drawings or when BoM manager is in use as well? Example exporting full BoM and getting the wires etc. 

4. Is there an option to merge wires & cables to show a total length of each type in BoM manager?

Message 7 of 8
Kelly_Shuman
in reply to: stefan.posey

To efficiently answer...

1) No.  You CAN roll up part numbers for Cable and Harness, Frame Generator, etc... by opening the BOM Manager and setting the part number =<stock number>, assuming you have a stock number.

The benefit of keeping the BOM traditional is the amended part number provides a detailed cut list.  

The .cfg files are crap, but useful otherwise. I have several to send in a DM if you're cutting your teeth. 

2) Help.  Autodesk really wants to be at the top of the search lists and gets there. 

3) 'Reports' are generated manually, and create a .csv file in the installtion folder, that can be referenced in a table, that update with an updated .csv report files. 

4) Go back to 1.

Message 8 of 8
stefan.posey

Wouldn't mind the cfg files. The base ones seem to be missing from my install. Due to time I went a head and did the harness tables manually, but I would like to find out how to automate as you laid out.

One thing I have run into is that using "insert parts list" requires you to go and select the harness iam (doesn't automatically recognize it as with other assemblies. 

Thanks,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report