Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser Name Not Changing

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jrhymes
653 Views, 4 Replies

Browser Name Not Changing

I have searched all over for how others handle this and can't find a good working solution.

When you place a part (let’s say structural steel part) from content center as a custom part and later change the part size, the browser still shows the old part name which makes it very confusing when scanning through the browsers when you're trying to find something. It makes it almost unusable if you can’t trust the description. How do others handle this? I know about browser rename but that won't work because it defaults back when you close and reopen.

Thx

Jason

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tsreagan
in reply to: jrhymes

Use the productivity tools to rename all browser nodes,  use partnumber or filename. (partnumber in your case)

If you save the Assebmly it will save the browser name change.

As a rule,  I keep the filename the same as the partnumber, and the browsernodes follow suite.

Structural parts are more difficult in that respect, as the shear volume requires unique naming methods.

If you save it as a custom part,  it will always retain the filename you gave it when you first saved it as custom.

But you can easily change the part number field,  it will no longer match filename however.

Browser Names.jpg

T.S.

Message 3 of 5
jrhymes
in reply to: tsreagan

Since 90% of my parts are structural steel it becomes a problem. Renaming browser nodes works but you have to keep doing it. Is there any way to get it to default to part name? That would solve all my problems. Just out of curiosity, why would autodesk name the file the same as the structural shape if it doesn't reflect the size if the size is changed? Why not just give it a generic name, maybe based on time and date so it's always unique and show the part name in the browser by default? Is there any way to do this in content center for the file name? That would make more since.
Message 4 of 5
blair
in reply to: jrhymes

Not sure what you are doing, If I place a CC steel item, use the "Custom" radio button, change the default name that ADSK defaults to my own Part#. It shows up in the browser under my Part#. If I RMB button on the item in the main window and select "Replace with CC" I have the ability to select a new CC member. Use the Custom button enter my own Part#, it shows up in the assemble and in the browser window with my new Part#

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 5
jrhymes
in reply to: blair

Instead of using replace with content center, use change size. That is where the problem is. Using replace loses any edits to the part and also the constraints.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report