Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken views can't handle auto-dimensioning

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
reeds_93me
395 Views, 5 Replies

Broken views can't handle auto-dimensioning

At my company, we do a lot of long components, so the broekn view is a staple of our drawing techniques. I've also started relying on the "RMB-on-view -> Get Model Dimensions" to speed up my drafting times. However, I now noticed that with views that are broken, the model dimensions are brought in and placed according to the full component length, not the broken view locations.

This is the case if I shorten the view first then get model dims, or if I get model dims then shorten the view. There is no nice way of getting the two to play together. So much for speeding up my drafing.

I won't even comment on the complications involved with quarter or half section views that have to be broken into shorter displays....grrrr.

Perhaps nothing useful offered here other than my venting and a hope that the iTeam notices these problems.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
MechMan_
in reply to: reeds_93me

If I remember right this worked fine in R6. I'll have to check it on R7 later.

MechMan
Message 3 of 6
reeds_93me

My mistake, I posted in the wrong forum ((Edited) these split forums) - I am running R6SP2 still (IT waits a loooong time before giving us the latest and greatest).
Message 4 of 6
MechMan_

Do you have this problem with every R6 IDW you create a broken view in?

MechMan
Message 5 of 6
reeds_93me

Pretty much, but it's not even consistently inconsistent. For example, I've posted to the CF what it did with my rod. See the post entitled "Broken View vs Get Dimensions". I included the model if you want to play with it.
Message 6 of 6
reeds_93me

Sorry, I jumped to post in CF without finishing my thought.

It is not consistently inconsistent in that I can understand the overall length not breaking, but the dimensions on the ends are hit-or-miss. Some get left out in "real length" locations, some are brought in to "broken length" locations. I can't even justify what it's doing - I can't see the logic as a diameter on the right "BV3" stays with the model and leaves behind the fillets, but the left end "BV2" loses it's diameter and a chamfer angle, but keeps another chamfer angle and a location dim.

It's really frustrating in that you can't edit these "gotten dimensions" the way you can normal ones, by relocating the green grip points, so there is no way to fix it other than delete and re-create your own, but then again, these aren't pink/sick ... they are just dislocated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums