Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Dimensions

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Cadmanto
5164 Views, 14 Replies

Broken Dimensions

Is there any way to get the broken symbol in a broken dimension like shown below?

dimension.JPG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
mrattray
in reply to: Cadmanto

How are you breaking the view? If you use the broken view tool IV automatically gives dimensions that cross the break lines the broken symbol.

Capture.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 15
Cadmanto
in reply to: mrattray

Mike,

Yeah, I know how to do what you are describing, but I have a section view from one end

of the over all diameter.  This only giving me the one side of the diameter dimension.  Like I showed

in my last posting.  I am just seeing if there is a way to get the broken zig-zag on the dimension like I showed.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 4 of 15
mrattray

That doesn't look like a section view to me. Can you give me a better picture of what you're trying to do?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 15
Cadmanto

Mike,

I just through something together quickly to give this thread the general idea of what I was trying to do.

In my real drawing to which speaks the reason I started this thread it is a section view.  But with that said,

whether it is a detail or a section does it really matter to the base of the original question?

I didn't think so.  Still want to know if what I drew in red in my original posting can be done and if so how?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 15

Hi Cadmanto,

I don't think you can show it with the break symbol, but this method (see image) might work for you.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Autodesk Inventor Break Dimension.png

Message 7 of 15
mrattray

Scott,

I asked for a clearer image because the only time I've ever had need of this is when I'm doing a standard view break, like I showed above. If you could give me a better idea of exactly what you're trying to do I could replicate it on my end and play around with it. Maybe, spot an option you missed or something...

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 15
jfleeger

I believe what he is looking for is a way to show a dimension to an edge that is not included in a detail or section view.  I have also tried to find a way to do this.  

For example: large sheet metal pieces with a cutout and hole pattern near the center; I dimension to the edge of the cutout and then show everything relative to the cutout on a detail view; it would be nice to include the edge of part dimensions on the detail view but I don't know how.

Message 9 of 15
mrattray
in reply to: jfleeger

The only things I can come up with is either what Curtis suggested or maybe to create a custom line type...

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 15
Cadmanto
in reply to: jfleeger

Yes, what you are describing is what I am looking for.

I know in Solidworks when you moved a dimension that was a diameter dimension to a broken or detail view

it would change the dimension to be a foreshortened dimension as I showed in my image.

This is how it is done in Solidworks.  Just trying to find the best method in Inventor.

dimension.JPG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 11 of 15

Curtis,

If this is the best method for now in Inventor then I guess I will have to settle with it.

Close to what I was looking for, but a lot of work.

I guess it is time to pay another visit to the Autodesk Product Enhancement site.  Smiley Wink

Check out my image below of how it is done in Solidworks.  Which is what I was looking for here.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 12 of 15
mrattray

And in SolidWorks when you were in a sketch and you dimension between a solid line and a center line it was smart enough to know that you wanted a diameter dimension, without an **** backwards selection order dependant and 3 extra clicks B.S.

But we're AutoDeskers now...

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 13 of 15

Hi Cadmanto,

This link may or may not help:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/02/foreshortened-linear-diameter.html

btw: I heard when you put in your 10,000 th feature enhancement request, you get a lapel pin.

If you get yours before I get mine, please post a picture.  Smiley Wink

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/01/feature-request-for-inventor.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Tags (1)
Message 14 of 15
Cadmanto

Yes it does and it also was smart enough that you didn't have to project geometry before you could constrain a centerline to an existing plane or axis.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 15 of 15

Hi Curtis,

Thanks for the links.

I will check them out.

As far as the lappel pin?  We'll do, but I am sure I have a lot of catching up to do before I first catch you and second over take you.  But I will none the less.  Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report