Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bring subassembly into assembly at precise location

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
drguitarum2005
428 Views, 5 Replies

Bring subassembly into assembly at precise location

Can anyone think of the best way to do this? To simplify lets say I have a square plate, vertically positioned. I have a square tube that I wish to cantilever off the plate and weld into place horizontally. EVERY time I bring that square tube in (lets say its a subassembly of its own rather than a part), it is precisely 1 inch below the top of the plate and 1 in in from the left edge.

Can anyone think of a way to make that happen where maybe I bring the part in and click on the two faces, it knows the other two contraints? Thanks...

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
SBix26
in reply to: drguitarum2005

Sounds like a job for iLogic to me.  Or, if you're more comfortable in VBA, that should work, too.  You might try posting in the Inventor Customization group, too.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 3 of 6
blair
in reply to: SBix26

I watch Kevin Schneider work with a plastic assembly a couple few AU's ago and he was located the assemblies using the XZY data in the occurance tab of a part within an assembly.

I wish I had kept notes of the class, but this data is only generated once the part is placed in a IAM and not in the IPT file.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 6
mrattray

This is exactly what iMates are for. I'm sure there's a tutorial on AutoDesk somewhere for them.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 6
drguitarum2005
in reply to: mrattray

Thanks yall. I was able to add some iMates to the parts to get them to work. Can anyone explain to me real fast what the "matching" means when defining an iMate and giving it a name? I have an idea but I'm not positive I'm right. Thanks.

Message 6 of 6
blair

This should help: http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/1310-Autodesk1310/1655-Assembli1655/1656-Build_a...

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report