Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Break Link En Masse After Make Components

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
MikahB
684 Views, 4 Replies

Break Link En Masse After Make Components

I got a STEP file from a client that contains about 260 individual bodies.  The file imported okay as a single IPT, then I used Make Components to create an assembly of individual parts.  Now, I've got 260 parts that all are linked to the original file, and I can't find a way other than part-by-part editing to break the links.

Is there another import process I should use to avoid this, or is there some way I'm not aware of to Break Links without doing it part-by-part?

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rdyson
in reply to: MikahB

I'm guessing that you had "Import as single part" checked. Unchecked, an assembly step will import as an assembly. 

SNAG-0000.png

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 5
MikahB
in reply to: rdyson

Nope, I did not have that option checked.  Here is my options screen at import time - this results in a multi-body part with lots of bodies.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 4 of 5
bobvdd
in reply to: MikahB

Weird.

Anyway, looks like the damage is already done as you now have 260 files linked to the same parent.

A relatively easy way of breaking the derived link in multiple files is to use the CodeInjector tool that I have posted on the Inventor support blog

And "inject" below piece of iLogic code. The tool allows you to delete the rule after it has been run, and that is probably what you want to do to not "pollute" the ipt files..

Cheers

Bob

Dim rcomp As Inventor.ReferenceComponent
Dim refcomp As Inventor.Document
refcomp = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument
If refcomp.ComponentDefinition.ReferenceComponents.DerivedPartComponents.Count > 0 _
And refcomp.ComponentDefinition.IsiPartMember = False Then
For Each rcomp In refcomp.ComponentDefinition.ReferenceComponents.DerivedPartComponents
If rcomp.Type = Inventor.ObjectTypeEnum.kDerivedPartComponentObject And rcomp.LinkedToFile Then
rcomp.BreakLinkToFile
refcomp.Save
End If
Next rcomp
End If
If refcomp.ComponentDefinition.ReferenceComponents.DerivedAssemblyComponents.Count > 0 _
And refcomp.ComponentDefinition.IsiPartMember = False Then
For Each rcomp In refcomp.ComponentDefinition.ReferenceComponents.DerivedAssemblyComponents
If rcomp.Type = Inventor.ObjectTypeEnum.kDerivedAssemblyComponentObject And rcomp.LinkedToFile Then
rcomp.BreakLinkToFile
refcomp.Save
End If
Next rcomp
End If

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 5 of 5
MikahB
in reply to: bobvdd

Thanks, Bob - that does seem like a workable solution.  I have just been unlinkning manually as I use individual parts.  Still a pain in the butt, but at least it's less pain spread out over several days!

I will try your solution in the next couple weeks on a smaller import and see if I can make it go!

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report