Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Break association to BOM

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
JShrek
503 Views, 5 Replies

Break association to BOM

I'm using Inventor Pro 2011 and I'm trying to break the association of a BOM from it's assembly.  My company uses a "next assembly list" on each drawing to show the quantities and information that appear on the BOM in the next level assembly.  To achieve this we insert a parts list referencing the next level, then we turn off the visiblity of all the parts except the item we want shown.  The problem we've found with this is that we're using some large assemblies and Inventor slows down when it has to reference the large assembly on each drawing.  All we really want to show is the single line.  If we break the link to the large assembly, we feel that it will speed up the process considerably.  Is there an easy way to achieve this?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cbenner
in reply to: JShrek

Hey, Shrek... welcome.

The short answer is no, the BOM cannot be disassociated with the assembly.  I'm not sure exactly what you;re trying to achieve, maybe you could post a picture with an example?  There are ways to manipulte what the BOM shows, and how much goes on your drawing in the form of a Parts List... but how to do that depends on the results you are after.

Message 3 of 6
Cadmanto

Welcome to the forum.

Chris is right in that you cannot break the link between the BOM and the associated assembly.

My suggestion would be to create your BOM in Excel and then import that into your drawing and forget about the Inventor BOM.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 6
cbenner
in reply to: Cadmanto
Message 5 of 6
JShrek
in reply to: cbenner

Here is a screen shot of the "edit parts list" window where I hide all the parts I don't want shown.  This parts list is actually for the assembly that the drawing's assembly goes into.  We use this parts list because it shows the info for the sub assembly that we want shown on this drawing.  If there's a way to create a parts list that shows the same info for this assembly with out referencing the next assembly, that would work as well.  We're willing to risk needing to update the Qty manually if we can lose the link to the next assembly.

If this is still clear as mud, let me know and I'll try to clear it up some more.

Message 6 of 6
JShrek

It appears that I attached 2 screen shots. bom 1 shows, highlited in green, what I'm trying to achieve without the link to the next level.  I'll keep those options in mind.  Let me know if the screen shots bring up any more ideas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report