Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boms read only.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
rob d
165 Views, 5 Replies

Boms read only.

Hello;
When I pull up the boms the only thing I can edit is the qty, I believe because it treats the part files as read only. Is there a way to change the setting so that the files are not read only. I'm working in a stand alone project without vault or anything.
Thanks in advance,
rob d.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: rob d

Check your Project file for a read only settings if this problem is with
library parts. You should be able edit descriptions in the most current
versions of IV

--
Dell 670 dual Xeon - 3.2
3gb memory, SCSI320-15k
XP-Pro, sp2
Quadro FX3400: Driver: 169.61 Direct3D
IV2008-pro sp2,
SpacePilot Rel V: 3.5.4 Dvr V: 6.4.4 Firmware 3.12

wrote in message news:5852070@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hello;
When I pull up the boms the only thing I can edit is the qty, I believe
because it treats the part files as read only. Is there a way to change the
setting so that the files are not read only. I'm working in a stand alone
project without vault or anything.
Thanks in advance,
rob d.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

>When I pull up the boms the only thing I can edit is the qty, I believe because it treats the part files as read only.

Which version of IV?

Are you talking about the BOM editor or the Parts LIst (I'm assuming BOM Editor)?

Which view are you looking at (e.g. Model Data, Structured, Parts Only)?
Message 4 of 6
rob d

Hello again;
Thanks for the responses. I'm using Inventor 2008, and the project files do say read only. I'm trying to edit the boms in an exercise. I can edit the parts list, but it doesn't show up in the boms. To be honest I'm a little foggy on the difference or why there is a boms, and a part list separate.
Thanks again;
rob d.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

>I'm using Inventor 2008, and the project files do say read only

which part says read only (the project file, or the style library or other)?

You will want to make sure the Project Location points to a top-level directory and all the parts are stored in this directory or directories nested in the top level. Also, you will want to make sure that your parts are not in any folders which are contained the in the Libraries portion of the Project.

Which view of the BOM are you looking at (there should be three tabs). If you are in the Parts Only tab, and you have parts in a Normal assembly, you will not be able to edit the parts. Instead, switch to Model Data tab, and drill down into the assembly. There you should be able to edit the parts.

>To be honest I'm a little foggy on the difference or why there is a boms, and a part list separate.

A BOM is essentially global and it contains everything in the assembly. A Parts List is a view of the BOM, specifically for a drawing. This seperates data from formatting.
Message 6 of 6
rob d

Hello;
I have been in the model data all along. Both library and project are read only, only after I open the file for the exercise.
Thanks,
rob d.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report