Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM troubles

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
g.kitchen
535 Views, 8 Replies

BOM troubles

I need help! Here's a pic of our parts list...

A1 & B1 are the main shipping pieces (they are also sub-assemblies). We list them along with their children in the BOM. The BOM Structure for both sub-assemblies is set to Phantom, in order to have their components listed in the BOM. The rows reflecting A1 & B1 are virtual parts. The parts list is generated from the top-level assembly's Structure tab. I'm realizing now that I could pull the parts list from the Parts Only tab, saving the step of setting A1 & B1 to Phantom.

There has to be a better way to list assemblies along with all their parts.. Suggestion would be appreciated!

We also need to double the quantities of the top-level assembly, how is this done? The only way I've found is to override the sub-assembly quantities in the BOM from the drawing. Is this what we're meant to do? Doing this means that I have to override the virtual component quantity as well, leaving more room for error.

I hope this makes enough sense, thanks!

Oh P.S.
Can you underline words in the BOM?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
dan_inv09
in reply to: g.kitchen

What version?

There is a setting which allows you to expand sub assemblies in the BOM/Parts List, I always forget where to find it. Then you would have to change the sub's setting so they aren't phantom. (You may need to be careful about how you get your "numbering" to work.)

If you need two of everything in your top level assembly why can't you just put two?

And it would be nice if parts lists and other tables behaved more like text, maybe someday.
Message 3 of 9
g.kitchen

Thanks, I'll poke around and see if i can find anything. As of now, our numbering is sorted by item number, it's a pain. We have to add the column, sort it, then remove it each time there are changes.

The boss doesnt want to override the text. We have had to find a ton of work arounds for this program and each one gets further and further away from actually being parametric.
Message 4 of 9
pcunningham1

In IV2008, when you place your parts list, you have the option of 'Top Level' or 'All Levels'. I assume there is something similar in IV2010.
It sounds like you want 'All Levels',

-Paul Cunningham
Paul Cunningham
IV2008
Message 5 of 9
harco

The link below was a lad who had the opposite problem you do, he only wanted the assemblies.
So if you set your BOM structure to all levels, then all parts and subs will show in your part list.
You will need to delete all existing part lists and balloons in a drawing to allow you to select the all levels part list.

As for quantities, put the same quantities of parts and assemblies in the model as you would in reality, then there are no overrides and nothing hidden, I hate overrides as there is nothing to indicate their presence until you edit a part list or balloon.
Not sure about the underline in the part list/ BOM but you may be able to apply a style to do it and if it did work it would probably be in every cell, although as it has been mentioned elsewhere in this post, I have my doubts.

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=6269744ꬰ
Message 6 of 9
dan_inv09

As Paul and harco said, it's only when you first place a parts list. That's why it's so hard to find and remember.

Could someone at Autodesk PLEASE look into giving us a way to change this after placement.
(I don't think I have ever found a situation where I couldn't get by with it "All Levels" but I often find that I need it to not be "First Level", is there a way to change the default?)
Message 7 of 9
g.kitchen

I have set both sub-assembly's BOM structure to Normal and have changed the properties on the structure tab of the BOM to All Levels with a comma as the delimiter. I also tried it with no delimiter and A1's item number (#1) is highlighted in yellow. There is no other cell highlighted.
I have removed all balloons & part lists from the dwg. When creating the new parts list, the level option is grayed out, but still reads All Levels. The parts list comes in with only the sub-assemblies.
I checked out the other post and followed it until parts were demoted... Must i do the opposite?
Message 8 of 9
pcunningham1

Edit the parts list and pick the plus sign (+) to expand the lower levels.

Also note: As of IV2008, sorting the parts list or BOM, and then re-numbering, erases the delimiters, and generally makes a confused mess of All-Levels parts list.
Paul Cunningham
IV2008
Message 9 of 9
g.kitchen

Aha! lovely! Thanks for all your help, t'was greatly appreciated!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report