Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM Settings for Drawings

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
BDUB2012
1046 Views, 4 Replies

BOM Settings for Drawings

Correct me if I am wrong and please let me know what I am doing wrong and how to do it.

I thought when you created a part and filled out the iproperties description field and created a drawing of that part that the parts list would read the iproperties description field and put that in the parts list description field.

Then when you create an assembly that included that part and filled out the iproperties description field in the assembly and created a drawing of that assembly that the parts list description field would be filled out be the assembly iproperties description field.

Instead the description field of the parts list in the assembly drawing is filled out using the iproperties description field of the part not the assembly.

Please let me know where my thinking is wrong and how to correct it.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
trumpy81
in reply to: BDUB2012

BDUB2012, I believe that the BOM should extract the iProperties from the part file by default. However, I do think it is possible to use the assembly BOM as well, but I have forgotten how to do that as it is something I rarely use.

Search the following address for more information regarding the BOM and it's operation.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/search?source=help&product=Inventor&q=BOM&language=ENU&version=2013

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

The parts list description pulls the description from the iproperties of the part.

The only way you would get the description from the assembly iproperties, is if you use the assembly in another assembly (as a subassembly).

What are you trying to accomplish?

Message 4 of 5
jletcher

If you really want the assembly to show up in the BOM as you request you could make a Virtual Component with the Assembly information this will act as the assembly.

Virtual.JPG

This is not the norm but this is how you can get what you want.

And please post the version of Inventor you are on on next post this helps us.

Message 5 of 5
BDUB2012
in reply to: jletcher

I aplogize, the version is 2012.

The solutions that I have found to get an assembly bom on an assembly drawing are:

1. insert an assembly into an assembly.

2. make a virtual part or derived part.

3. make extra fields in the part and have the BOM column look at alternative iproperty fields.

In a part file that has a family table I want the configurations of some casted parts and some machined parts. the casted parts will have a drawing but no BOM, the machined parts will have a drawing and a BOM.

Then in an assembly file that has a family table I want configurations that use the configurations of the part file. Each of these assemblies will have a drawing that has a BOM that will call out the part that is is made from.

In other words I will have a casting that will be machined so I will need a casting drawing and a machine drawing that has a BOM telling what casting to use.

Is there any easy way to do this.

On top of that when I try to make a family table in an assembly I get a message "THE BILL OF MATERIALS CONTAINS VIEWS OR PROPERTIES NOT SUPPORTED BE CONFIGURATIONS. OONLY STRUCTURED FIRST LEVEL BOM VIEWS ARE SUPPORTED. THE BOM WILL BE CHANGED DURING CONVERSION".

I do not know what i changed so I do not know how to correct it.

Please help with any solutions.

THANKS!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report