Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM Settings and properties - greyed out

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
RockyBrown4134
6060 Views, 12 Replies

BOM Settings and properties - greyed out

Does anyone know why the BOM settings would be greyed out, when trying to add a BOM to a drawing?
I also can not expand sub-assemblies. Any suggestions?

Rocky Brown
Aluminum Ladder Co.
Inventer Pro 2008 SP3
If this response answers your question, Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution"

Rocky Brown
AutoCAD 2020 / Inventor 2020 / Plant 3D
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Does the idw already have a parts list?

Paul Cunningham

Paul Cunningham
IV2008
Message 3 of 13

No. But it has custom balloons.

Rocky Brown
Aluminum Ladder Co.
If this response answers your question, Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution"

Rocky Brown
Message 4 of 13
harco
in reply to: RockyBrown4134

Dump all balloons and all part lists then Inventor will allow structure choice.
The first balloon or part list sets the structure for all balloons and part lists in that drawing.
Also you can't expand the assemblies because the part list is set to first level, it needs to be set to all levels to allow expanded view.
Message 5 of 13

Bummer! I have twenty sheets in an assembly set that I would have to redo. Is ther any other way?

Rocky Brown
Aluminum Ladder Co.

Rocky Brown
Message 6 of 13

Deleted all balloons and BOM from twenty sheet set. Tried to bring in new BOM. Still get the sam BOM settings grayed out.

O.k. I missed one. Now I get to choose BOM view but Level is still grayed out.

Rocky Brown
Aluminum Ladder Co. Edited by: RockyBrown4134 on Jul 15, 2009 1:51 PM

Rocky Brown
Message 7 of 13
harco

Just as you posted I think I found a solution without deleting part list and balloons.

1. open model assy set BOM editor set structured view to all levels.
2. create new drawing.
3. insert a view of the assy
4. place part list structured, all levels, and edit to expand a few sub assys.
5. copy all sheets from original drawing to new drawing.
6. save
7. check copied sheets part lists to see if they allow the structure to be expanded.
8. If all is correct delete first sheet and save then check if part list structure still holds, when you insert a new part list it says first level but comes in allowing assys to expand, this maybe a problem, I don't know.
I have tried this and it seems to work.

As you have deleted all pl & balloons then it's easier to insert new pl.
Go to model BOM and set structured view to all levels.
Message 8 of 13

No. Level and Min. Digits are still grayed out.

Rocky Brown
Aluminum Ladder Co.

Rocky Brown
Message 9 of 13
harco

Make sure the model BOM is set to structured all levels.
Then try making a new clean drawing, drop in the assy and place pl to see if all ok.
If that works then there is still a balloon or pl in the original drawing.

HTH
Message 10 of 13

I got It! Had to work with it a little. I created a new idw from Autodesk's standard idw template instead of using the custom template. Followed your steps and it workrd.

Thanks for the help.

Rocky Brown
Aluminum Ladder Co.

Rocky Brown
Message 11 of 13
BDUB2012

I thought that when you created a part and filled out the description field that when you ceated a drawing of that part that the inserted parts list would read the iproperties description field and put that in the parts list description field. Then when you created an assembly of that part and filled out the description in the assembly and created a drawing of that assembly that the inserted parts list would read the iproperties description filled in the assembly and put that in the parts list description field.

My assembly drawing acts like it is reading the iproperties of the part not the assembly.

Please help.

Message 12 of 13
BDUB2012

Correct me if I am wrong and please let me know what I am doing wrong and how to do it.

I thought when you created a part and filled out the iproperties description field and created a drawing of that part that the parts list would read the iproperties description field and put that in the parts list description field.

Then when you create an assembly that included that part and filled out the iproperties description field in the assembly and created a drawing of that assembly that the parts list description field would be filled out be the assembly iproperties description field.

Instead the description field of the parts list in the assembly drawing is filled out using the iproperties description field of the part not the assembly.

Please let me know where my thinking is wrong and how to correct it.

Thanks.

Message 13 of 13
stephenjohns00
in reply to: BDUB2012

I seem to have this problem every time I copy a drawing from a similar assembly (iAssembly) and then change the model reference. Couldn't someone write an external iLogic rule to do the 8 steps listed by harco for us?

@harcowrote:
1. open model assy set BOM editor set structured view to all levels.
2. create new drawing.
3. insert a view of the assy
4. place part list structured, all levels, and edit to expand a few sub assys.
5. copy all sheets from original drawing to new drawing.
6. save
7. check copied sheets part lists to see if they allow the structure to be expanded.
8. If all is correct delete first sheet and save then check if part list structure still holds, when you insert a new part list it says first level but comes in allowing assys to expand, this maybe a problem, I don't know.
I have tried this and it seems to work.

As you have deleted all pl & balloons then it's easier to insert new pl.
Go to model BOM and set structured view to all levels.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report